Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual handling

Manual handling

I have lots of fences on my permission with few gates. Can anyone suggest an 'easyish' way to get a deer (carcass ) over a stock fence topped with barbed wire, without popping several discs. Any gadgets or gizmos used ?

Thank You,
    Ff

take a pr of fencing pincers and remove a few staples and lift the fence to drag under it then replace the staples

Hard to answer this definitively. What species are we talking about reds big fallow sika ? on your own ? two strands of barbed wire or one ? tough one,how fit/mad are you lol seriously get a jet sled or more help for the larger deer and try making it to the nearest gate or area of fencing which you can take it under. Smaller species you might be able to lift over some fencing but it might hurt some, be careful will be interested in others views.

Apart from what Bruce suggested a quad or a right hand man. Take it you talking like red carcasses.

Quote Originally Posted by dlz90 View Post
    Hard to answer this definitively. What species are we talking about reds big fallow sika ? on your own ? two strands of barbed wire or one ? tough one,how fit/mad are you lol seriously get a jet sled or more help for the larger deer and try making it to the nearest gate or area of fencing which you can take it under. Smaller species you might be able to lift over some fencing but it might hurt some, be careful will be interested in others views.
    Good idea about removing staples thanks Bruce W , I'm asking this after shooting a large fallow buck this morning which jumped three fences ( all very close together ) before dropping on the far side. He had a good amount of barbed wire around his antlers just to add to the fun ! My back is not what it was 20 years ago ! Ff

It is often possible to drag them through the bottom wires which are normally not barbed unless of course they are using the square `Rylock`, then of course they have to go over the top .
    A piece of thick canvas carried in your rucksack can be draped over the barbs.
    HWH.
    Last edited by stag1933; 27-03-2013 at 18:59. Reason: extra

if commonly used places a sheet of cheap plywood left at suitable crossing points
    slide on, tip over

I know it sounds abit drastic but I always carry a hacksaw blade and some bin liners. . If its really difficult to remove just cut it into manageable sizes. I know you can't if its for the game dealer but for personal use I don't see it being a problem.

The awful weather has made for some difficult extractions so ,as it's all for personal consumption, I skin and break the carcass into the main joints, bag them and carry it all off in a large bergan

It's a lot easier than being towed out/recovered from a far flung field

One of the first things I learned, at someone else's expense.

Just before you squeeze that trigger "how the f*** am I gonna get this out."

If plan A, B and C are not going to work.............

​Stan