Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slight resistance on bolt

slight resistance on bolt

After a bit of advice please guys I havent been reloading long but the rounds I have made have beenreally accurate now I have made a batch but when chambered the bolt has a little resistance on some of the rounds iv trimmed them all to 2035 for 243 just wondered if this is normal or not ?

It could be your shoulders need bumping back slightly more or check your oal
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsim View Post
    After a bit of advice please guys I havent been reloading long but the rounds I have made have beenreally accurate now I have made a batch but when chambered the bolt has a little resistance on some of the rounds iv trimmed them all to 2035 for 243 just wondered if this is normal or not ?
    if full sizing you need to set your die up correctly,you can but head space gauges to measure the exact amount of shoulder movement.or you can do it the hard way and keep slightly adjusting your die until the case chambers in your rifle nicely.but beware you don't want to undersize the brass so little adjustments at a time.
    if your neck sizing you will need to by a body die redding and fosters make these but again you will have to measure the amount your moving the brass
    another thin g is to make sure your press is up to bumping the shoulder back a some presses don't cam over enough.

hi jimsim are you using hornady dies .i have had the very same problem a couple of days ago

Thankyou mate I screw the f/l sizer die in untill it touches the shell holder then ease the die out half a turn prehaps its not quite sizing them correctly thanks for the advice
    Regards jim

Quote Originally Posted by bk View Post
    It could be your shoulders need bumping back slightly more or check your oal
    talking about sholders needing bumping back is that your missis on your screen

No mate there lee ones i think I may need to set the full sizing die up correctly

Quote Originally Posted by toad View Post
    Shay Laren (I only know because the same question was asked on snipers hide many times....!)

Jimsim, take your current die setting and then screw in 1/4 turn then try and chamber the brass, repeat until brass chambers. It is normal to have some cam over on most presses. Make sure brass is lubricated properly too. If you end up up having to use a lot of force and the brass still won't chamber stop immediately, something else is up.

Quote Originally Posted by toad View Post
    You read my mind! +1

Quote Originally Posted by Jagged77 View Post
    ... take your current die setting and then screw in 1/4 turn then try and chamber the brass, repeat until brass chambers..
    I think you are being a bit cavalier here. A 1/4 turn moves the die about 18 thou. A whole turn moves the die about 72 thou. Given the idea is only to bump the shoulder of the fired case back 2-3 thou, you need to turn the die in much smaller increments. I sometimes paint a mark on the die/lock ring and then loosen the lock ring and move the die fractionally in until the desired effect is achieved.

Regards JCS