Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chiller warming up when its colder in the shed its stood in

chiller warming up when its colder in the shed its stood in

Morning, I've noticed that when its particularly cold that my chiller, situated in a shed, seems to rise in temperature from 2deg c up to 5 or as high as 10 deg c. I wonder if it gets colder around the fridge in the shed than the temp its set to internally if it sort of over compensates by warming itself up ? Logic would suggest that if it gets colder around the fridge it would just switch off, however, evidently this isn't the case.
    Normally, I just switch it off when its too cold but its a bit of a pain.
    Does anyone know what this is all about or have any ideas please ?
    Kindest regards, Olaf

Same here Olaf .ive had a doe in the chiller nigh on a week now without it being on as the outside temp is colder than it can chill down to .
    ​cheers doug

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
    Morning, I've noticed that when its particularly cold that my chiller, situated in a shed, seems to rise in temperature from 2deg c up to 5 or as high as 10 deg c. I wonder if it gets colder around the fridge in the shed than the temp its set to internally if it sort of over compensates by warming itself up ? Logic would suggest that if it gets colder around the fridge it would just switch off, however, evidently this isn't the case. Normally, I just switch it off when its too cold but its a bit of a pain. Does anyone know what this is all about or have any ideas please ? Kindest regards, Olaf
    Hi Olaf,

The exact same thing has happened to my chiller.

The problem is likely to be the refrigerant is low, when gases are warm they expand and therefore there is enough refrigerant to keep your chiller running OK in warmer weather. When it is cold like it is now, the refrigerant will shrink and therefore there is not enough refrigerant to run your chiller effifiently.

I had a very kind SD member that was a fridge engineer visit my home and diagnosed the problem, unfortunately for me my compressor is a sealed unit so the refrigerant can't be topped up, so I need to get a new compressor which is 100+!!!

Cheers
    Last edited by 270Buck; 28-03-2013 at 07:48.

Cheers Doug, its good to know that I'm not alone on this one, thanks for the reply.
    Ross, many thanks, a most informative post indeed, exactly what I'd hoped to hear. Its not really a problem, its just when it goes into the minus 3 range outside that its an issue. I've just switched the little puppy off now, eco chiller. Do you think the doors need to be left open ? I've kept them shut for hygene purposes as its all nice and clean in there.

270 Buck
    The man who said your refrigerant gas can not be filled up does not know what he is talking about.
    1 How are they going to get the gas out to change the compressor
    2 How are they going to put the gas back in when they have changed the compressor
    3 I re-gas lots of fridges.
    4 I suspect he is trying to put his hand in your pocket
    5 But I could be wrong about him.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

If you fit an extra thermostat outside the chiller that switches the supply off when the ambient temperature drops below 4 degrees & back on before it gets up to 7 degrees, you'll save money and your venison won't suffer.

​Ian

I've left the door open no reason why really I go on yorrics theory and my chiller was in the school kitchen which was always warm and now it lives in our shoots gun room it's not so warm and I just switch it on when it's + 5 degrees .
    ​cheers doug

i do a bit of a/c and it sound to me as if its abit low on gas. a outside stat would also be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    If you fit an extra thermostat outside the chiller that switches the supply off when the ambient temperature drops below 4 degrees & back on before it gets up to 7 degrees, you'll save money and your venison won't suffer.

​Ian
    Yah, this is true, I'd been thinking about doing this a moment ago but don't know where to get a termostat from, any thoughts ?

You could source one at a central heating / plumbing supplies - just make sure it's up to taking the current rating of the fridge start up - or you could run it through a relay / contactor.

Ian