Really?

Andy7mm

I was thinking about the silly laws we have over deer shooting and was looking for a simple explaintion of the rules and found this:

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/codes-of-practice/deer-stalking.cfm

about half way down and has the legal bits.

now i am no lawer, but as far as i can see in england no bullet weight limit just ME (1700 ft/lb) and .240 cal (don't start about .243:stir:)

In NI min bullet weight same ME and .236 cal

in Scotland min bullet wight, min ME and Min velocity ans .240 cal

now this is just my thoughts (and i hate to say this) but is the english law not the simplest and really should just be rolled out every where?:british:

P.S. are any of the english guys on here shooting deer with less than 100Gr and is the working well?

Andy7mm

Yes.
Correct placement of the shot at a sensible distance with a well designed projectile is more important than actual bullet weight.
Due to perverse legislation in another country we were obliged to use .22 CF rifles for shooting Fallow, Sika, Reds and Hybrid Red/Sika for about 20 years.

HWH.

There is no minimum calibre in Scotland but there are bullet weight, energy and velocity requirements that means for all the big deer you need a little more boof to be legal, roe are 1000 ft-lb from a minimum bullet weight of 50gr achieving a velocity of 2450fps at muzzle....

perfectly simple

There is no minimum calibre in Scotland but there are bullet weight, energy and velocity requirements that means for all the big deer you need a little more boof to be legal, roe are 1000 ft-lb from a minimum bullet weight of 50gr achieving a velocity of 2450fps at muzzle....

perfectly simple

+1 perfectly simple. And i like it better not having minimum calibre for roe either. My .222 is the perfect round for the job. If we had the english we would be forced too use .243.

"now this is just my thoughts (and i hate to say this) but is the english law not the simplest and really should just be rolled out every where?:british:"

Typical - spoken as a true Englishman, lets impose our laws on everyone else. :rofl::stir:

is the english law not the simplest and really should just be rolled out every where?:british:

It has some anomalies too. E.g. we can't shoot Roe with a sensible calibre, they are regarded as large deer. Must be interesting shooting in the borders with e.g. a .222. What happens if a Scottish deer runs and dies on the English side :cool:

Likewise an English stalker shoots a red with a barely legal .243 and it expires in Scotland (for lack of the extra 50 fpe, or a heavy enough bullet).

Of course in England we don't want those coarse fox shooting types getting fancy ideas about shooting our beloved Roe with their vermin rifles. But they are welcome to pop off the horrid Muntjac which we don't like (immigrants). :eek:

Of course in England we don't want those coarse fox shooting types getting fancy ideas about shooting our beloved Roe with their vermin rifles. But they are welcome to pop off the horrid Muntjac which we don't like (immigrants). :eek:

Though the .243 was designed as a vermin rifle?!
if you believe the Forestry Commission deer ARE vermin!!

It has some anomalies too. E.g. we can't shoot Roe with a sensible calibre, they are regarded as large deer. Must be interesting shooting in the borders with e.g. a .222. What happens if a Scottish deer runs and dies on the English side :cool:

Likewise an English stalker shoots a red with a barely legal .243 and it expires in Scotland (for lack of the extra 50 fpe, or a heavy enough bullet).

Spot on mate it's a complete mess really isn't it. :cuckoo:

Something else that hasn't been considered is that since devolution the Welsh assembly now has the powers to change the legislation in Wales to allow the shooting of roe with .22 centrefires or for that matter to change all the deer legislation in Wales if they so wished. So instead of having three different lots of deer legislation for the various parts of the U.K. you could even have four different sets of legislation. The thought had crossed my mind to petition my AM for a change in the law just to be different.

:stir:

That was priceless, very funny, can you imagine the outcry if that was screened in this day and age. :rofl:

100grain = trouble, if the average weight is 100g, some might weight 99.9 :stir: some might weigh :D.

better get a real rifle, as many opinions as we have members :rofl:

Yes I have used and still do use a 243 and 70 grain bullets on large deer (Red, Sika & Fallow) in England and fine it very effective

Yes I have used and still do use a 243 and 70 grain bullets on large deer (Red, Sika & Fallow) in England and fine it very effective

Do you not get a lot of damage with the smaller bullets? I used to find this was the case and now only use 105 Gr Geco SP rounds which are great for the job on all species.

Back