Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: knife

knife

I have no idea what you call the knifes with the ball on the end.I find this a great tool in the deer larder and wondered if any one knows of one that comes with a sheath,as this will be very helpful in the field.I cant find any on the net but with out knowing the proper name im a bit stuffed.cheers rob, also any one know of a small compact bone saw that would help too!!!!!

Just bought a mora legging knife and done a deal with dougster on here to do me a sheaf .got the mora from Cheshire lad
    ​cheers Norma
    ​Ps this to use in the field I have one in the larder too .

Think it is called a tripe knife!!!

Outdoor Edge Zipblade comes with a sheath. They're called tripe knives, roe knives or bullet tip knives.

Tripe knife. I use one all the time when grallocking and skinning, very usefull.

On a slight tangent, how do you sharpen these unzippers with a Lansky? It strikes me that a hollow curved blade like that needs a rounded hone but they don't make one. Does it work with a flat hone?

Mora do two types - the 'Roe Knife' - now often called a bleeding knife ( but that could just be due to a short temper ) and a longer wedge shape one which is commonly called a tripe knife - I'll go check what the catalogue calls them..

There are several, but think this one is what you mean? - Gutting Knife, Propylene Handle, Black - Food Industry - Mora Of Sweden :: Mora Distribution

MMbeatle has advertised the former and Monarch/Cheshire Lad have as well. Moonraker Knives remain a good source for all things Mora ( tell Tony I mentioned him! - business link declared ) ) and do the Outdoor Edge as well.

The Roe comes with a sheath and I believe Dougster ( friend/business link declared ) will sheath them.

For the deeply curved versions I use the Lanskey ceramic rod type sharpeners - the Fold A Vee will do it and as will the rod box set. With Scandi ground edges you just need to take care to maintain the angle - or decide to go with a secondary bevel ( which has some merits ). Obviously, have to declare interest as we sell both; but they are what I use.
    Last edited by Moray Outfitting; 29-03-2013 at 09:16.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    On a slight tangent, how do you sharpen these unzippers with a Lansky? It strikes me that a hollow curved blade like that needs a rounded hone but they don't make one. Does it work with a flat hone?
    The best results I've had have been doing it by hand with one of the sticks from a Spyderco sharpener. As you say, the blade is an awkward shape for a jig.

A pair of larder knives by Stu Mitchell.
    The trick with sharpening the tripe knife is not let it get to bad and just keep touching it with a steel, no reason why this type of knife should loose its edge to be honest as it doesn't need to go near bone etc.