Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with scope choice

help with scope choice

Right lads, help me out before I loose what little is left of my marbles. A couple of weeks ago I bought a Z6i 5-30x50 with a BR ret. I just couldn't get on with it and PXed it for a Z6i 2.5-15x56. Sadly when it arrived it was a Z6 not a Z6i due to a bit of confusion on both mine and the sellers part. I now need to buy a replacement and can't get exactly what I want without putting another 500 to the pot. So I have to make the following choice.

S+B 2-10x56 flash dot
    Z6i 3-18x50 gen 1 4Ai
    Z6i 2-12x50 gen 1 4Ai
    Zeiss Victory varipoint 3-12x56T* 69ret

I'm looking for the best option for last light deer stalking. Price wise there is about 100 between them. My mounts are high's so the smaller objective size wont let me mount it closer to the bore. Flash dot is out I think as i'm looking for a bit more mag.
    So between the bottom 3 which would you chose and why? please dont confuse me by adding further suggestions to the mix.

Ezzy

3-18 swaro, forget getting close to bore, the ret will be same distance off whatever the objective size unless you change rings. 18 is better than 12.......

Why couldnt you get on with the 5-30?and why not stick with the 2.5-15??

SD Regular
    Got to agree with the last post - why not stay with the Z6. Obviously depends on the ret - I have a 4A in mine and whether it be a last light or under the lamp it is excellent. I can understand not getting on wit the BR reticle.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

The 3-18 would be the one I would choose from the above options

if 10 x is not enough then neither is 12 x its t close to 10 so only choice in your list is the 18

It would be the 3-18 for me also. I have a 2-12 Z6i but would prefer the 3-18 and intend to change it soon.
    MS

BTW thanks now ive looked closly at the range the Z6i 5-30 x50 with a ballistic turret and BR ret looks to be my ideal scope and the turret/ret ballistic app they have that maatches trajectory to the turret and reticule graduations at any zoom setting (obviously check with real rangeshooting) looks great

stu stick with what you got till the funds are there for the z61
    anything else will just seem second best .
    I had the same problem chooseing a scope for the 20 tac nearly drove me crazy
    regards pete

Quote Originally Posted by ezzy6.5 View Post
    Right lads, help me out before I loose what little is left of my marbles. A couple of weeks ago I bought a Z6i 5-30x50 with a BR ret. I just couldn't get on with it and PXed it for a Z6i 2.5-15x56. Sadly when it arrived it was a Z6 not a Z6i due to a bit of confusion on both mine and the sellers part. I now need to buy a replacement and can't get exactly what I want without putting another 500 to the pot. So I have to make the following choice.

S+B 2-10x56 flash dot
    Z6i 3-18x50 gen 1 4Ai
    Z6i 2-12x50 gen 1 4Ai
    Zeiss Victory varipoint 3-12x56T* 69ret

I'm looking for the best option for last light deer stalking. Price wise there is about 100 between them. My mounts are high's so the smaller objective size wont let me mount it closer to the bore. Flash dot is out I think as i'm looking for a bit more mag.
    So between the bottom 3 which would you chose and why? please dont confuse me by adding further suggestions to the mix.

Ezzy
    Take the 3-18 out of the equation. If you are only going on last light performance then you want a 7mm exit pupil. More mag means dimmer sight picture. That means on a 56 objective it will be 8 power and 50 objective will be 7 power ( ish ). Schmidt and Bender have dropped their warranty to 2 years which is not where I would spend my money . That leaves either the Z6i 2-12 or the Zeiss 3- 12x 56.