Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog food

Dog food

OK what dog food do you use and Y
    I'm going to be feeding better food than i have been and i would like your opinions on what is a good all round food.
    price
    name / type
    and so on.

ATB
    Cam

DOG FOOD

Skinners rough and ready, just went on to this a few months ago and really pleased with it, the name seems to suit my dogs as well.

Re: Dog food

Quote Originally Posted by camathias
    I'm going to be feeding better food than i have been and i would like your opinions on what is a good all round food.
    price
    name / type
    and so on.

ATB
    Cam
    Cam
    wot are you feeding ??,
    so we can see what you are comparing to
    ATB

Quote Originally Posted by stone
    price
    name / type
    and so on.

ATB
    Cam
    Cam
    wot are you feeding ??,
    so we can see what you are comparing to
    ATB
    Hi stone
    I was not trying to compare it to anything, i am going to change my dog food as I'm not happy with it and i have all so been informed it is not good enough quality for one of my dogs,this means it is not good enough for them both.
    just interested what you lot are putting in your dogs,as you don't feed race horses crap and expect them to run at there best.
    this is where i have strayed away in the picking of my dog food.Going for the cheaper stuff.

I have used all sorts over the years. expensive and I'm now on cheap.
    its just time for a change, and i want a good quality dog food but i don't want to pay a fortune for it. but if i have to i will if someone tells me y I'm paying so much for the food and how good it is for my dog.

ATB
    Cam

I have fed the BARF diet to my two Munsters for the last 18 months or so. The difference in condition, when compared to them being on a complete meal diet, is startling. At annual check up/inoculation time the vet comments on how health both dogs are.

I had hear of BARF a few years ago but never really trusted it. One of my dogs is quite sensitive to additives, so I thought it was worth trying BARF as it is completely natural.

Even the dog's behaviour has changed for the better and I doubt I would feed a dog anything but BARF ever again.

Give it a try, you have nowt to lose and a lot to gain if it suits. There are lots of BARF suppliers around nowadays so you can even buy it in rather than preparing everything yourself

Must admit tho, it was a nervous few days when we started. Watching a dog eat raw chicken wings and chicken carcasses just felt plain wrong!

edit
    sorry, just noticed the bit about price.
    Costs me 1.80-2.00 per day to feed both dogs. At an average of a quid a day each, I think its very reasonable. One dog is 34kg and the other 39kg in weight

Chudleys Original together with a fork full of Tuna or Pilchards. The Lab & the GSP seem to thrive on it & Chudleys is a pretty good price at Countrywide at the moment 9.19 for 15Kg.

ATB
    Chris

no probs Cam
    just some high quality foods are no better than some cheaper foods just the name makes the difference
    often it just needs a little extra like salmon oil or the likes mixed in to give the desired reult
    we hav been using chudleys classic for several years now and hav been happy with it for most of our dogs
    but some of our dogs hav been on eukanuba and they look well with it
    not a great fan of Skinners myself , but Protein 23 and Ruff & Ready was what my old employer used to feed at the kennels and that looked like it worked
    ATB

price
    name / type
    and so on.

ATB
    Cam
    Hi Camathias
    Used to used Chudleys for my working dogs, and they were on it for ages. Then a couple of keepers suggested I tried 'Greyhound'. Its a plain, fairly flat round biscuit.
    The result is that the dogs loved it, it was easy to keep their weight under control, and their stools were easy to clear up with no excessive smell!
    I now just have the one Lakeland Terrier (excellent deer dog) she's now 12, and had no problems.
    The other good thing is that its usually around the 9.00 mark. I must stress that this is not the reason for me using it, just the results that it gives.

Hope this helps, yabanjin.

another vote for chudleys

chudleys working crunch in the winter and SCATS/Countrywide Gold in the summer.