Dog food

camathias

OK what dog food do you use and Y
I'm going to be feeding better food than i have been and i would like your opinions on what is a good all round food.
price
name / type
and so on.

ATB
Cam

Skinners rough and ready, just went on to this a few months ago and really pleased with it, the name seems to suit my dogs as well.

camathias said:
I'm going to be feeding better food than i have been and i would like your opinions on what is a good all round food.
price
name / type
and so on.

ATB
Cam

Cam
wot are you feeding ??,
so we can see what you are comparing to
ATB

stone said:
camathias said:
price
name / type
and so on.

ATB
Cam

Cam
wot are you feeding ??,
so we can see what you are comparing to
ATB

Hi stone
I was not trying to compare it to anything, i am going to change my dog food as I'm not happy with it and i have all so been informed it is not good enough quality for one of my dogs,this means it is not good enough for them both.
just interested what you lot are putting in your dogs,as you don't feed race horses crap and expect them to run at there best.
this is where i have strayed away in the picking of my dog food.Going for the cheaper stuff.

I have used all sorts over the years. expensive and I'm now on cheap.
its just time for a change, and i want a good quality dog food but i don't want to pay a fortune for it. but if i have to i will if someone tells me y I'm paying so much for the food and how good it is for my dog.

ATB
Cam

I have fed the BARF diet to my two Munsters for the last 18 months or so. The difference in condition, when compared to them being on a complete meal diet, is startling. At annual check up/inoculation time the vet comments on how health both dogs are.

I had hear of BARF a few years ago but never really trusted it. One of my dogs is quite sensitive to additives, so I thought it was worth trying BARF as it is completely natural.

Even the dog's behaviour has changed for the better and I doubt I would feed a dog anything but BARF ever again.

Give it a try, you have nowt to lose and a lot to gain if it suits. There are lots of BARF suppliers around nowadays so you can even buy it in rather than preparing everything yourself

Must admit tho, it was a nervous few days when we started. Watching a dog eat raw chicken wings and chicken carcasses just felt plain wrong! :lol:

edit
sorry, just noticed the bit about price.
Costs me £1.80-£2.00 per day to feed both dogs. At an average of a quid a day each, I think its very reasonable. One dog is 34kg and the other 39kg in weight

Chudleys Original together with a fork full of Tuna or Pilchards. The Lab & the GSP seem to thrive on it & Chudleys is a pretty good price at Countrywide at the moment £9.19 for 15Kg.

ATB
Chris

no probs Cam
just some high quality foods are no better than some cheaper foods just the name makes the difference
often it just needs a little extra like salmon oil or the likes mixed in to give the desired reult
we hav been using chudleys classic for several years now and hav been happy with it for most of our dogs
but some of our dogs hav been on eukanuba and they look well with it
not a great fan of Skinners myself , but Protein 23 and Ruff & Ready was what my old employer used to feed at the kennels and that looked like it worked
ATB

camathias said:
price
name / type
and so on.

ATB
Cam

Hi Camathias
Used to used Chudleys for my working dogs, and they were on it for ages. Then a couple of keepers suggested I tried 'Greyhound'. Its a plain, fairly flat round biscuit.
The result is that the dogs loved it, it was easy to keep their weight under control, and their stools were easy to clear up with no excessive smell!
I now just have the one Lakeland Terrier (excellent deer dog) she's now 12, and had no problems.
The other good thing is that its usually around the £9.00 mark. I must stress that this is not the reason for me using it, just the results that it gives.

Hope this helps, yabanjin.

Cheap mince and brown rice, get two/three meals out of each bag of cheap tesco's mince at £1.20 a bag plus the rice boiled and added.

Also venison off cuts boiled up with brown rice goes down well with him.

Gralloch (Lights) supplimented by Dr John's Gold.

Well it seems wrong to throw several hundred grallochs away each year when they make such good dog food. :lol:

Im with MM on this one. Both my dogs have been on a BARF diet from almost day one. Their condition is truly great. Its very natural if you dont humanise the whole dog food process.....

MM "One dog is 34kg and the other 39kg in weight" are you refering to your LM's? i ask as if this is so, thats way over the average for the breed, mine are peaking at 30kg tops. ive had 9 now and i only ever had one over 30kg and he was a whopper. .... is this their stable weight?Interested now to know how heavy Trappers LM's are?

Best regards
Sariel

Stand Buck said:
Gralloch (Lights) supplimented by Dr John's Gold.

Well it seems wrong to throw several hundred grallochs away each year when they make such good dog food. :lol:

I use the Dr John Plattinum with a suppliment of deer heads and feet! :lol:

Hi Sariel

Yes, the weights are from my LM's. This is their normal summer weight. They both drop by around 2kg each in shooting season when they are down to their working weights.

The big fella's line is well known for throwing large dogs, but I have seen larger dogs. He is from show stock and there has been a tendency in the last few years to have bigger dogs. The bitch is deffo on the large side for the breed and is an oddball as her lines are not known for being the largest.

As you know LM's are probably one of the most unpredictable breeds for size and weight.

What kennel are yours Sariel? Your own breeding?

we feed beta active to all the dogs

11 springer's
2 Stafford's and 1 clumber
all love it we ween all the pups on beta puppy

i don't know if you know but if you see the red and white Breed pack in your local country store £5 to £7 it is Purina dog food just repackaged in to 15KG bags that works well

ash243 said:
we feed beta active to all the dogs

11 springer's
2 Stafford's and 1 clumber
all love it we ween all the pups on beta puppy

i don't know if you know but if you see the red and white Breed pack in your local country store £5 to £7 it is Purina dog food just repackaged in to 15KG bags that works well

Hi i used to feed beta dog food and my (dead now ) GSP was a bit hyper on it.

I have been reading on the net that a lot of the dog foods actually contain stuff they say are not in there as there is a loop hole in the law that says if they don't put it in then they don't have to declare it as being in there.
so all they have to do is ask there supplier to put in the additive and bobs your uncle
i have even read some disturbing reports that they actually put dead dogs in the mix. and cows with mad cows disease.
Please tell me this is not happening in this country.

ATB
Cam

There is a lot of CRAP spoken of dead dogs and mad cow disease going into dog foods. With constant testing I don't think so. The tests on animal feed are so sensitive that they can detect what proportions of the mixture, rabbits from China, kangaroos etc or lamb/mutton from New Zealand, chickens from Brazil in meat that comes in containers from abroad. They can even detect contamination of container from previous loads if not properly cleaned out.
Years ago a Warwick pie firm was caught out selling kangaroo meat in their pies.
Changed their name but still trading.

Back