Thread: One Eyed Buck

One Eyed Buck

A couple of days ago I decided to take advantage of a little sunshine that appeared and headed off to a new permission. On arrival I was met by the sight of a roe buck and doe standing side by side on the crest of the hill. Nice to see but not on the cull plan as we have an establishing population here in East Sussex. After parking up I stalked the perimeter of the wood and out of the corner of my eye I spot another lone roe buck. Looking through the binos I see a mature buck with a very tidy set of antlers. I know where I will be monday morning!! I back away and set of towards another block of woodland where I had seen fallow emerging on a previous visit. Standing 130 m from the wood with my back to a small copse and the light beginning to fade, i spied a set of antlers rocking to and fro, a fallow buck trotting towards me. I watched as he continued stopping 50 yards in front. Lifting the rifle I steadied myself and took him freehand squeezing off the trigger. Thwack!! He ran 30 yards and was down. Giving him a minute I then walked over to test for eye blink reaction . Nothing ! No eye !! Anyway took him back to the chiller and gralloched. No camera unfortunately but did take a couple of the head.

ATB Steve

I always said you had no eyedeer on that ground mate!

Any sign of the cause?
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	269198_10151595512753338_28927656_n.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	26465

Here is another one. He lost an eye in the rut 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy s View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	269198_10151595512753338_28927656_n.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	26465

Here is another one. He lost an eye in the rut 2 years ago.
    One eyed Unicorn from the look of that picture - the 1 antler he does have seems positioned in the middle of his head?
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... it's just that yours is stupid!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Assassin View Post
    One eyed Unicorn from the look of that picture - the 1 antler he does have seems positioned in the middle of his head?
    Indeed you are correct in part. He has 2 antlers but yes one of them is in the middle of his head.

I've got one unicorn which has centralised on the skull, I'll get a picture up.......when I boiled it out I discovered a length on bramble up one of its nostrils right at the back by the sinus, it was about an inch or more long, must have been agony for it, not sure if it would effect antler growth though......
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

nice one mate