Thread: Flat stools

Flat stools

As above
    i am thinking Prostrate problems with Castration as a possible remedy
    just wondered about thoughts from others as well from our resident Vet members as to wether I should be preparing myself for a bigger issue
    8 yr old dog in good health
    No known previous health problems
    flat stools just started to show and dogs seems and looks happy
    any clues as way forward
    vet appointment booked for next week
    but more looking at what possibilities I may be facing
    thanks in advance

Hello Stone. I googled this, it`s a vets opinion on a question asked. Obviously i`m not saying this is the cause but may be of help.

"With the flat stools - my concern would be some degree of pressure / blockage changing the shape of the stool before it leaves the rectum.

In male dogs, BPH or Prostate enlargement is something we must consider.

Other possible causes include prostate infection (prostatitis) or a mass / growth unrelated to the prostate.

The recommendation would be to have first an examination including rectal examination to see / feel if there is anything obstructive or compressive there. Following an ultrasound may be performed looking at the prostate to see the appearance and help determine the possible underlying causes."
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Cheers for that John
    i never thought about googling it....
    Which is unusual for me... But looks like waiting to see what the Vet comes up with
    ​fingers x'd then

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    Cheers for that John
    i never thought about googling it....
    Which is unusual for me... But looks like waiting to see what the Vet comes up with
    ​fingers x'd then
    You could don a glove yourself. Lubricated index finger into rectum. Normal prostate bi-lobed structure no bigger than a walnut.

I assume uncastrated male?

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Already thought of doing that mate
    just felt if I mis-diagnosed or even diagnosed it as enlarged prostrate I would still need to visit the vet to confirm this and course of treatment
    yes
    entire male , healthy working Springer Spaniel

In my experience I have never seen flattened faeces with an enlarged prostate as the prostate normally sits on the brim of the pelvis rather than in it. I have seen flattened faeces with intrapelvic masses of other causes. You need to get him checked out by your vet.

What was the outcome Stone?
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    What was the outcome Stone?
    sorry meant to update but had one hell of a week
    the vet we saw was not our Normal one and suggested it was a prostrate problem

based on doubt and srvet's post we hav decided to hav a second opinion and will see our normal vet who I do trust next week just incase this is more serious than just a prostrate problem

If he's prostrate it's much more urgent............

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    If he's prostrate it's much more urgent............

very true
    but this week has shown me again why I need to wait for a trusted decision
    my boiler broke down and my trusted heating engineer was not available
    so I went to another engineer that was rated
    He tried to take me for a ride with a mis diagnose and still would not of cured the problem if I had followed his advice
    trusted engineer came back on the scene today
    came straight out and boiler now fixed
    I know
    ​but the point is I need to see a vet I trust just incase