Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book on New Zealand deer cullers?

Book on New Zealand deer cullers?

Hi,

I have just watched 2 great DVD's, "good keen men" and "venison hunters". These are both documentaries on the deer cullers of NZ.

Does anyone know of any good books on the same subject. Looked on Amazon but can't seem to find anything.

​Cheers

I have a couple, but last house move all my deer stalking & big-game books were put in a box to be kept safe

Not seen them since...they'll appear one day when I blitz the cupboards

Try this book: The Deer Hunters, Philip Holden

A good one on pig hunting is Grunter Hunters, Kim Swann

Contact member dvbookshop on here - he'll sort you out with some. I've bought stuff from him for over 20 years & he's always got a good stock of the usual books & I've had quite a few of the harder to find ones off him too

pack and rifle by philip holden

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for but I ready he autobiography Untamed by Davey Hughes (guy who founded and owns Swazi) and it covers his time as a NZ deer culler it quite some detail. I found it an amazing book written by a guy who comes across as a really great hunter with a huge respect for nature.

Look for books by Barry Crump including 'A Good Keen Man'

You can get Pack and Rifle on kindle. Don't buy the book.

I've read nearly all of Philip Holdens books and thoroughly enjoyed them. His first two, Pack and Rifle and Hunter by Profession are his best. Be aware that Holden on Hunting vol1 and 2 are just collections from his previous books.

He led a hard but amazing life. Interesting to note that a man that shot thousands of deer inc Thar,Moose and Wapiti used a .243 Sako for the bulk of his career with either 70gn hollowpoints or 100gn Norma softpoints! The very first pro's used .303's but the most popular calibre through the 70's was the .222! Go figure! Thats a debate for another time and I won't derail this thread with that bun fight.

If you want a bit of escapism and a fascinating look into a life alot of us probably dream about then I thoroughly recommend his work.

PH

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    Maybe not exactly what you're looking for but I ready he autobiography Untamed by Davey Hughes (guy who founded and owns Swazi) and it covers his time as a NZ deer culler it quite some detail. I found it an amazing book written by a guy who comes across as a really great hunter with a huge respect for nature.
    Thought his fencing escapades in Scotland were good, he's had a good life. And his gear is good if a little expensive

Reeds the publishers have issued many.

I have :-
    `Hunt the Far Mountain` by Keith Severinson.
    `Red Stags Calling ` by Gordon Atkinson. [1974.]
    `The Red Stags of the Rakia` by Bruce Banwell.
    And `Hunting with Harker` by Peter Harker and Keith Eunson. [1976.]

HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by 270Buck View Post
    Hi,

I have just watched 2 great DVD's, "good keen men" and "venison hunters". These are both documentaries on the deer cullers of NZ.

Does anyone know of any good books on the same subject. Looked on Amazon but can't seem to find anything.

​Cheers
    http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Bo...chopper%2Bboys