Thread: Anyone transported skulls to the States?

Anyone transported skulls to the States?

I am coming over on holiday in June and have a couple potential stalks lined up. Assuming I am fortunate enough to take a roe buck - does anyone have any experience transporting a skull out of the UK, to the States?

An answer i got.

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the importation of roe deer game trophies from the United Kingdom that will require clearance by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Our mission is, working with others, to conserve, protect and enhance fish, wildlife, and plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people.

The U.S. importer is responsible for the legal importation of these roe deer game trophies from the United Kingdom into the United States.

The roe deer, Capreolus capreolus, is not a protected species however, as the U.S. importer prepare to import his game trophies into the United States, he must complete Form 3-177, Declaration for Importation or Exportation of Fish or Wildlife. The U.S. importer can find this form on our website at the following address:http://www.fws.gov/le/pdf/3177_1.pdf This form is not difficult to complete.

The U.S. importer should have this form completed and have it, any required United Kingdom government export permit, and his game trophies available for inspection as he prepares to import them into the United States.

The U.S. importer must import his game trophies at a designated port. The U.S. importer can find a list of designated ports and contact information for our wildlife inspectors at those ports on our website at the following address: http://www.fws.gov/le/designated-ports.htmlWe suggest that he contact in advance the port where he will be importing his game trophies in order to coordinate their clearance into the United States.

We also strongly suggest that the U.S. importer contact the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, for information on requirements or restrictions that may apply to the importation of your his game trophies at http://www.aphis.usda.gov/contact_us

Thank you for your cooperation in complying with our regulations that help protect fish, wildlife, and plants and their habitats. Please feel free to respond to this message with any further inquiries that you may have regarding this matter.

I have sent some skulls to the states and the above guidelines were followed so had no problems, they had to be booked into a specific port, depending on the area of the states they were going to. If you were taking them as a foot passenger then check if a USFWS have a station at the 'port' you fly into. If they are not then you have 3 choices, risk sneaking them in, risk sending them to yourself from the UK (I used a broker for this as the forms were so complicated and the charge from him was minimal compared to the risk of them not getting there or being destroyed, or 3 changing your flight to fly into a relevant port!

I have been invloved with shipping trophies for clients for many years, and the rules to import into the USA have got tighter over the years. Any such imports into the USA have to go through a designated port of entry for fish and wildlife to inspect. Larger boxes must be made from regulation timber, and only one client can put their trophies in each box. This does make it expensive if a group of 2 to 4 hunters want their trophies shipped in one box, which is not allowed now, they all have to be in individual crates.

There are a few good importers and exporters handling animal products from and into the UK, and on the other side of the pond many clients use a handling agent to work for them to import their trophies safely and without a hitch. Fauna and Flora being one of these agents on the east coast of the USA, and are very good.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    This does make it expensive if a group of 2 to 4 hunters want their trophies shipped in one box, which is not allowed now, they all have to be in individual crates.

There are a few good importers and exporters handling animal products from and into the UK, and on the other side of the pond many clients use a handling agent to work for them to import their trophies safely and without a hitch. Fauna and Flora being one of these agents on the east coast of the USA, and are very good.
    Common sense would make me think if you were part of a group then just one person would be nominated then they could all go in one crate.
    So i assume that if a client gets a taxidermy job done on a trophy in the UK he just arranges through Fauna and Flora and they arrange collection from the UK taxidermist and complete all the necessary paperwork?
    Cheers
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    Common sense would make me think if you were part of a group then just one person would be nominated then they could all go in one crate.
    So i assume that if a client gets a taxidermy job done on a trophy in the UK he just arranges through Fauna and Flora and they arrange collection from the UK taxidermist and complete all the necessary paperwork?
    Cheers
    Richard
    Richard,

That sounds fine and dandy. Trouble is with a group of 2 to 4 clients they generally all shoot the same species whilst hunting over here. So one person is nominated...............fine they have shot 4 Red Stags, and maybe 4 Sika in one trip? Fish and wildlife in the USA may get suspicious and ask questions, all I know is that they stopped multiple trophies in one box about 3 or 4 years back.

Fauna and Flora are one of the main handling agents in the USA. I have a handling/shipping agent in the UK who arranges the collection from my home, and then freights into the USA, it is up to the client in the USA where and who handles the shipment at the USA end, not me.
    But as you know it must go through a designated port of entry first (USA Fish and Wildlife) if it does not it will be inpounded and possibly destroyed. Therefore most clients use a handling agent like Fauna and Flora to clear customs in the States, it can then be forwarded onto the client or taxidermist in the States. Whether it is mounted over here in the UK or salted dried skins, makes no difference.

If a USA client wishes to risk taking it back in their bag, thats their call, although I would warn them that if they are caught they will probably loose their antlers and may face possible prosecution I guess?

I have shipped mounted and raw material to the states for over 30 years, and never had a problem yet. However it is getting harder to ship to the USA, due to the restrictions imposed by the USA authorities. Shipping to Europe, or carrying dried cleaned skulls yourself is not generally a problem. And I have had several Finnish clients this year that have taken their trophies back in their bags, once they have been boiled out, bleached and cleaned.

ATB

Sikamalc
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Thank you all for the helpful eDiscussion.

As with every forum on the planet, I honestly expected to have to sieve through the pertinent from the sidebars and inane rants.

I just hope that the discussion is necessary and that I do indeed have a trophy to get home