Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merkel helix rx

Merkel helix rx

Has anyone out there had any dealings with this straight pull rifle ,if so could you let me have some feedback.
    looking to purchase either. R8 or the merkel hd plenty of feedback on blaser r8 just need a little more hands on info for the merkel before I make up my mind
    ATb mark

Only had brief chance to handle at a dealer demo and one client had one.

Style wont appeal to everyone, but from limited chance to handle it - and I know I commit unforgiveable heresay - seemed to deliver most everything that a Blaser promises and does it better.

Barrel switch ( not high on personal list ) was silly fast and easy. Mount system is Weaver based - fit what mounts you like without spending 300. Action is superfast but takes some getting used too. Not a straight pull fan, but suspect you'll either love it or loathe it.

Of the three I got chance to shoot all performed well with the groups being dictated by the goof firing it rather than the rifle - still hovered around the inch.

To be honest I've not had enough time with one or know someone that has to make a valid call. But would take it over a M03 anyday just on feel alone. Recommended several customers after Blasers to look at one - but no feed back yet.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Having fired an r8 and r93, then trying the merkel apart from the barrel change which was like a couple of minuets max the most evident thing that stood out between the two was the bolt, on the blasers I felt like I was having to slam the bolt forward to get it to fire initially I thought I had broken it as it wouldn't fire then my mate said I wasn't pushing the bolt forward hard enough, problem solved, but the helix had none of these issues also the bolt does not come back anywhere near as far as the blaser being captive which made it nicer in my opinion but others may disagree but the merkel would be my choice of the two..
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; 30-03-2013 at 16:33.

I've been interested in the Merkel Helix after seeing it in a Utube video but unfortunately can't get a hold of one to try and Viking Arms are hopeless to deal with. Emailed and phoned without any responses.

​Can you get through Helix in a synthetic stock?

Quote Originally Posted by scotsgun View Post
    I've been interested in the Merkel Helix after seeing it in a Utube video but unfortunately can't get a hold of one to try and Viking Arms are hopeless to deal with. Emailed and phoned without any responses.

​Can you get through Helix in a synthetic stock?
    Im 99% sure you can get it in synthetic, try Steve at ivy thorn sporting he can help I'm sure....
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; 30-03-2013 at 19:56.

One with a carbon stock i think which would be tempting,steve at ivythorn i think had some on order.

The Helix does come with a synthetic stock think it's called alpineist model has adjustable cone and can be ordered in camo local shop getting one in for me to look at this week

I don't rate the Merkel against the R93.

But I rate the strasser RS05. Check it out.

Steve at Ivythorne had them in stock when I was there before Xmas. I think it handles really well and being able to cycle the bolt without moving your head is brilliant.