Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why canít I find Hodgdon powders?

Why canít I find Hodgdon powders?

Why canít I find Hodgdon powders?

Quoted Straight from Hodgdon Powder Co USA

As you have seen, ammunition and reloading components Ė including all Hodgdon powders Ė are hard to find.
    Dealer shelves that used to hold cans of powder are empty. Here are answers to your questions straight from
    Hodgdon.

Q: Are you still making powders?
    A: We are shipping more powder this year than we shipped last year. We are shipping as fast as the powder is
    available. The real problem why you are seeing empty shelves is demand. The demand for powder (and all
    ammunition and components) is far greater than the supply from the manufacturers. We just cannot make
    enough to feed this demand right now. No one wants to ship more during this time than we do.

Q: Are you still in business?
    A: Yes, Hodgdon is here for the long haul. We are doing everything we can to supply our powders. Dealerís
    shelves are empty because powders are being purchased as soon as they arrive at the Dealerís stores.

Q: What is causing this high demand?
    A: The current political climate can have the regulatory consequence of impacting law abiding, hard working
    shooters and hunters. This has caused extremely high demand on all shooting industry products resulting in empty
    shelves, long back-orders, and on-line auction sites asking exaggerated prices.

Q: I have seen/heardmany rumors and conjecture on the cause of this powder shortage.
    A: If you do not hear it from Hodgdon Powder Company please donít believe it.

Q: Is the shortage of reloading powder being caused by Hodgdon shipping their powder to the ammunition
    manufacturing companies?
    A: No. While we do sell to some ammunition manufacturing companies, we continue to sell over 80% of our
    powder to handloaders just like you. Hodgdon has always been committed to the individual handloader.

Q: When will I start to see more powder on Dealer shelves?
    A: This level of demand will not last forever. As soon as demand slows a little we will start making headway into
    our backlog.
    Grampian Guns (RFD)
    Independant Moderator / Supressor Suppliers
    ..........for those who like a quiet life !
    Our mission.......Customer satisfaction......plain and simple.

So the shortage is entirely down to selfish shooters in the USA stockpiling supplies ?

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    So the shortage is entirely down to selfish shooters in the USA stockpiling supplies ?

Neil.
    Exacta-mundo
    Grampian Guns (RFD)
    Independant Moderator / Supressor Suppliers
    ..........for those who like a quiet life !
    Our mission.......Customer satisfaction......plain and simple.

Just been gushop still got plenty of components in stock picked up some powder and 500 primers he said that distributors have told him expect shortages up to 12 months on ammo I think we will be ok as long as we don't follow suit and start panic buying

Sportsman in Dorchester have some, too far from the OP but may be useful for others nearer. atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by remmy700 View Post
    Why canít I find Hodgdon powders? Quoted Straight from Hodgdon Powder Co USA As you have seen, ammunition and reloading components Ė including all Hodgdon powders Ė are hard to find. Dealer shelves that used to hold cans of powder are empty. Here are answers to your questions straight from Hodgdon. Q: Are you still making powders? A: We are shipping more powder this year than we shipped last year. We are shipping as fast as the powder is available. The real problem why you are seeing empty shelves is demand. The demand for powder (and all ammunition and components) is far greater than the supply from the manufacturers. We just cannot make enough to feed this demand right now. No one wants to ship more during this time than we do. Q: Are you still in business? A: Yes, Hodgdon is here for the long haul. We are doing everything we can to supply our powders. Dealerís shelves are empty because powders are being purchased as soon as they arrive at the Dealerís stores. Q: What is causing this high demand? A: The current political climate can have the regulatory consequence of impacting law abiding, hard working shooters and hunters. This has caused extremely high demand on all shooting industry products resulting in empty shelves, long back-orders, and on-line auction sites asking exaggerated prices. Q: I have seen/heardmany rumors and conjecture on the cause of this powder shortage. A: If you do not hear it from Hodgdon Powder Company please donít believe it. Q: Is the shortage of reloading powder being caused by Hodgdon shipping their powder to the ammunition manufacturing companies? A: No. While we do sell to some ammunition manufacturing companies, we continue to sell over 80% of our powder to handloaders just like you. Hodgdon has always been committed to the individual handloader. Q: When will I start to see more powder on Dealer shelves? A: This level of demand will not last forever. As soon as demand slows a little we will start making headway into our backlog.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    So the shortage is entirely down to selfish shooters in the USA stockpiling supplies ? Neil.

I am sure facing some to the same proposed changes we would do the same over here.Mind you a gentleman on these boards did warn us some time ago, there was a drought imminent on powders and reloading components.............

iv not had any problems with h414/ h4895 & varget etc just price rise on all bits but a pals whos son is in the usa is finding it hard to buy powder and bullets etc. i think you are spot on as it seams like the folks in the usa are panic buying and cocking up the amount for sale over there and over hear

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    iv not had any problems with h414/ h4895 & varget etc just price rise on all bits but a pals whos son is in the usa is finding it hard to buy powder and bullets etc. i think you are spot on as it seams like the folks in the usa are panic buying and cocking up the amount for sale over there and over hear
    No varget near me. Had to get n160 and start all that load development from scratch, not too pleased, but, moaning won't change anything. Oh, none of my favourite .22lr subsonic local either :/

​pete

Quote Originally Posted by dlz90 View Post
    I am sure facing some to the same proposed changes we would do the same over here.
    True, that.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    True, that.~Muir
    ​Would you say that panic buying has slowed down a tad at the moment or is it still going on?