Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: home made moderators?

home made moderators?

ok lads , can you put some light on this,

what is the law on home made mods????

my mate has been offered a moderator from another shooter who is an exceptional metal worker who has made a moderator (to see if he could and he did very well). He was asking how it would go onto a ticket as it has no trail as to where it came from, no serial no etc .

would his mate need a licence to produce firearm components, is he breaking the law?

cheers

Put it on the ticket as "Make - unknown" and NSN (No serial number).

It's not against the law to manufacture moderators, only to have it on S1 firearms without it being "on ticket".

I do not know that much about moderators, so please excuse my ignorance. I was wondering though, whether even an exceptional metal worker would construct a moderator that will not only be safe, but do its job well too? Surely a rather good knowledge of ballistics, mechanics and most probably chemistry are in order too, on top of a good knowledge of metal work?

Its my understanding that when used with a firearm they become a firearm in their own right. Your mate would need a slot on his ticket and it would need to be entered as such. Maybe the best way around it could be to supply the mod to an RFD to send to proof and then enter on ticket on return? I know there is a separate debate on proofing sound mods which I won't get into however I would think a one off home made mod might benefit? I've had a mod fail on me and it's something that you, and anyone around you at the time would wish to avoid.....

Is the guy making the mod not breaking the law ? and I wouldn't touch it without sending for proofing, and then wanting to test, and see if it works.

Worth a read......

SilencerTalk Index page

(it's a bit "septic" but some good info).
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

I recently wrote to the Home Office on this very subject. Their reply was as follows.............

Thank you for your e-mail of 12 December in which you sought clarification as to whether a sound moderator unattached to a section 1 firearm is controlled under the Firearms Act 1968 (as amended).

Although not specifically defined by name in the Act it is the view of the Home Office that sound moderators and suppressors intended for use as parts for either a section 1 or section 5 firearm are subject to section 1 licensing controls and a firearm certificate would be required to manufacture, possess, purchase or acquire them.

Further advice relating to section 1 firearms licensing control and firearms certificates may be obtained from your local police Firearms Licensing Department.

I hope that this deals satisfactorily with your enquiry.

Yours sincerely

I Newman

Although not specifically defined by name in the Act it is the view of the Home Office that sound moderators and suppressors intended for use as parts for either a section 1 or section 5 firearm are subject to section 1 licensing controls and a firearm certificate would be required to manufacture, possess, purchase or acquire them.*
    "Not specifically defined" and "it is the view" ...... so in effect, the person who replied to you, doesn't know, and is not prepared to give a definitive answer, the evidence for that being further along in the email when you were advised to contact the police firearms department.

If you follow the line of reasonjng in the email, a firearms license would be required if you were to undertake manufacturing a new stock for a S1 firearm!

A moderator, in and of itself does not require a slot on your ticket - if you wanted, you could buy a T8, and put it on a a sub 12 ft/lb air gun, and there would be absolutely no requirement to have it registered anywhere. It would be a waste of money though

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
    Although not specifically defined by name in the Act it is the view of the Home Office that sound moderators and suppressors intended for use as parts for either a section 1 or section 5 firearm are subject to section 1 licensing controls and a firearm certificate would be required to manufacture, possess, purchase or acquire them.
    So along as you hold a firearm certificate you can MANUFACTURE ,possess, purchase or acquire them ? So he could just put it straight onto his ticket and inform the police in the usual way .

Quote Originally Posted by teabag_46 View Post
    "Not specifically defined" and "it is the view" ...... so in effect, the person who replied to you, doesn't know, and is not prepared to give a definitive answer, the evidence for that being further along in the email when you were advised to contact the police firearms department.

If you follow the line of reasonjng in the email, a firearms license would be required if you were to undertake manufacturing a new stock for a S1 firearm!

A moderator, in and of itself does not require a slot on your ticket - if you wanted, you could buy a T8, and put it on a a sub 12 ft/lb air gun, and there would be absolutely no requirement to have it registered anywhere. It would be a waste of money though
    With respect, you have conveniently chosen to ignore " sound moderators and suppressors intended for use as parts for either a section 1 or section 5 firearm".

You really need to read the Home Office email to me together with the firearms act to which it relates. As it is the HO that draft the legistation I would have thought it prudent to take their advice, given in writing, as gospel.

We all know that airgun moderators are not subject to the act and it is not such moderators that we are discussing.

Stocks are not mentioned in the act, whereas what we call sound moderators are. See (C) copied from the act below................

Interpretation.

(1)
    In this Act, the expression “firearm” means a lethal barrelled weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged and includes—

(a)
    any prohibited weapon, whether it is such a lethal weapon as aforesaid or not; and

(b)
    any component part of such a lethal or prohibited weapon; and

(c)
    any accessory to any such weapon designed or adapted to diminish the noise or flash caused by firing the weapon;