Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prevent blood for going solid

Prevent blood for going solid

I am most likely taking Boarskin, cleaves and blood with me to the UK for an SD member, so he can train his tracking dog with this.
    I bought some 2-Hydroxy-1,2,3-propaantricarbon acid (C6H8O7 / CH2COOHC(OH)COOHCH2COOH) (we sort off call it "citrus acid") to prevent the blood going solid. Looked it up on the internet and apparently you put some in the tube so it stays liquid. Not sure how much i am supposed to put in it. Does any one have any experience with this?

Citric Acid is quite commonly used to prevent blood from clotting.

At one of the DCS Best Practice Days a there were a few methods being recommended but a guy whose day job was working for the Blood Transfusion Service said to use Citric Acid and it does work.

I don't have any quantities or ratios to help though sorry, I just guess it.

Hang on a moment. Lets put the anticoagulant issue aside for a moment.

Am I correct in reading that the OP plans on importing blood and body parts of an animal from abroad into the United Kingdom?

Obviously that is against the law.

The risks of bringing an exotic disease into the UK are high (we've had swine flu, FMD already from that route) and the types of tissue described - I cannot believe you could get a personal licence to import. They would have to pass meat inspection and include all sorts of health declarations.

Go and find some skins and blood from UK boar if you need them for dog training. Don't put the whole country's livestock industry at risk.

A little literature search reveals that trichonella could be a real risk:

The sylvatic cycle (T. spiralis, T. britovi and T.pseudospiralis) has been documented with a low prevalence in the red fox and in wild boar populations in the Netherlands (van der Giessen et al., 1998)

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Hang on a moment. Lets put the anticoagulant issue aside for a moment.

Am I correct in reading that the OP plans on importing blood and body parts of an animal from abroad into the United Kingdom?

Obviously that is against the law.

The risks of bringing an exotic disease into the UK are high (we've had swine flu, FMD already from that route) and the types of tissue described - I cannot believe you could get a personal licence to import. They would have to pass meat inspection and include all sorts of health declarations.

Go and find some skins and blood from UK boar if you need them for dog training. Don't put the whole country's livestock industry at risk.

A little literature search reveals that trichonella could be a real risk:

The sylvatic cycle (T. spiralis, T. britovi and T.pseudospiralis) has been documented with a low prevalence in the red fox and in wild boar populations in the Netherlands (van der Giessen et al., 1998)
    +1 on that

I would NOT bring any such material into the UK. Not only is it illegal, it is also a rather stupid thing to do (sorry to be so blunt)

I would STONGLY advise against such a move, and the admin team of this site do not support your undertaking this decision in any shape or form.

There are several members on this site who are vets, and have expressed real concerns with your intended actions.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Natural England have a complete ban on such pig related products THUS IT IS ILLEGAL AND COMPLETELY IRRESPONSIBLE. PLease respect our laws. When you have seen the misery caused by imported diseases F&M for one it is a highly selfish act.

I have previously been offered boar meat to bring home following a hunt in France, actually it was a complete hind leg still in the jacket. I politely declined the offer partly because I had no way of keeping the meat cold and partly because I was unsure of the regulations about bring pork into the country. Some people tell me that it is O.K. to import up to 1kg for personal consumption. Is this correct or was I correct in declining the offer? Your professional opinions would be very much appreciated Morena and Apache.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Completely illegal.Quantity immaterial you could be fined and have to pay for the destruction.

Thanks Morena, I thought that perhaps I was just being a little too cautious but it seems that I did the right thing. My view was better to be safe than sorry. I could get over the fine if caught bringing some boar meat into the country but I could never get over the thought of the possible damage I could have done to the agricultural industry and wildlife of our country.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.