Mmm the brains been doing over time

nuttyspaniel

Ok with my pending new arrival from Brock and Norris Ive been deliberating over bullet choice. Now Ive used co-polymer tipped offerings from Nosler and Hornady, soft points from , speer, Hornady and Sierra in the past and really couldnt fault any of them. Now the new rifle is a 20" barrelled 308 and Im planning to use either Gamekings, Sst's or Nosler bt's and Im also been considering combined tech's silver tips. Have any lads had experiance of any of the fore mentioned styles and had a chance to compare any of them side by side?

E.g. My mate likes the Gamekings and Noslers but prefers the Noslers as they have produced better results in accuracey and cleaner kills.

My personal choice would also be the Nosler after using them in the past. But Im interested in other thoughts.

Nutty

Nosler Ballistic Tip or Accubond is my “go to” bullet of choice. Over the years I’ve tried a vast amount of offerings and some are better IMHO, but supply is patchy at best. Nosler OTOH is available, accurate and do what is says on the box.

ATB

Thanks you for letting us know of the impending arrival of your new .308 cal. Brock and Norris rifle.
Only a short while ago on here you were extolling the virtues of the .25-06 and earilier I believe the .243AI.
What has changed your mind with regard to calibre selection ?

Each rifle is an entity unto itself and what may suit Toms rifle best may produce totally different results when fired in Dicks rifle .
I believe Brock and Norris do load development for each of their products so you may receive such information with the impending delivery.
As far as bullet construction and manufacturer are concerned that which kills well in one rifle should have similar performance levels in another.

Personally I have killed many beasties of the 6 species using mainly the Speer hot-core soft-point boat-tails. [ .30 cals and .270 Win.]

HWH.

I have used Partitions, Accubonds and Ballistic Tips in my 30 cal.

I could not get what I call acceptable accuracy from the Partitions and they are expensive

The Accubonds grouped really well and in fact using the same loads the Accubonds and Ballistic Tips were interchangeable i.e. same case primer powder and charge weight gave the same accuracy and poi. However the terminal ballistics were not a patch on the BT's the Accubonds did not expand well even on Sika and reds.

Therefore I have gone to Combined Tech BST's the only downside is that you cannot simply swap between these coated and uncoated bullets as there is a significant loss of accuracy until the coating deposits are either stripped out by non coated bullets or the other way round and the barrel is coated from firing the coated bullets.

Thanks you for letting us know of the impending arrival of your new .308 cal. Brock and Norris rifle.
Only a short while ago on here you were extolling the virtues of the .25-06 and earilier I believe the .243AI.
What has changed your mind with regard to calibre selection ?

Each rifle is an entity unto itself and what may suit Toms rifle best may produce totally different results when fired in Dicks rifle .
I believe Brock and Norris do load development for each of their products so you may receive such information with the impending delivery.
As far as bullet construction and manufacturer are concerned that which kills well in one rifle should have similar performance levels in another.

Personally I have killed many beasties of the 6 species using mainly the Speer hot-core soft-point boat-tails. [ .30 cals and .270 Win.]

HWH.

A b@@dy good deal and a trip to Africa that we are saving for. It was a hard decision to make as I do rate the 25-06 and if it wasnt such a good deal and the Africa trip we are working on I wouldnt have thought about it. I enquired about a 308 conteacter that was planned for obvious reasons and after a brief chat with Mike last weekend and handling the rifle. He offered the deal. There are a few here that cn justify to how hard a decision it was for me to make. As for the wssm nowt wrong with the calibre I just lost confidence in that rifle and to myself that goes a long long way towards accurate shooting.

Ive used speer before ( i think!! Yellow box) and they also performed well in my old 25-06.
Nutty

150 grain sst , 45 grains of n150, OAL 2,835, i get 2650 fps out of my 20 inch barrel 308 and they are deadly accurate and kill real good but dont cause massive damage
ive tried all shorts in my 308 but keep coming back to this load, try it

I have used Partitions, Accubonds and Ballistic Tips in my 30 cal.

I could not get what I call acceptable accuracy from the Partitions and they are expensive

The Accubonds grouped really well and in fact using the same loads the Accubonds and Ballistic Tips were interchangeable i.e. same case primer powder and charge weight gave the same accuracy and poi. However the terminal ballistics were not a patch on the BT's the Accubonds did not expand well even on Sika and reds.

Therefore I have gone to Combined Tech BST's the only downside is that you cannot simply swap between these coated and uncoated bullets as there is a significant loss of accuracy until the coating deposits are either stripped out by non coated bullets or the other way round and the barrel is coated from firing the coated bullets.

Cheers I didnt think the coating on the silver tips was supposed to interfear with the barrel like moly..

Nutty

150 grain sst , 45 grains of n150, OAL 2,835, i get 2650 fps out of my 20 inch barrel 308 and they are deadly accurate and kill real good but dont cause massive damage
ive tried all shorts in my 308 but keep coming back to this load, try it

Sounds good. Did you try N140?? Ive access to a good stock of Varget so I was planning to try that but the N140 has been suggested aswell.

Nutty

Two things to consider...

Size of largest species
max range of target

Then....

Under 350mtr/yrd you will see no noticable differance in performance between a BT and a FB bullet
Over 350mtr/yrd the BT bullet will begin to show greater retained energy/velocity over the FB
Allow for at least 1000ft/lb for large species and 500ft/lb for smaller species, of terminal energy on target

Now having stated the parameters above, the Flat base bullet under 350mtr/yrd will kill as well/equally as a BT bullet and save you shed loads of money for that Africa budget.
If you have an intention to stretch your ranges past 350mtr/yrd then the higher bc/velocity/energy of the BT type bullet would come into play..... And if you intend to go to "Af" don't quible about the ammunition cost, but get your mitt in your pocket and use the best bullet you can afford.

Last edited:
Two things to consider...

Size of largest species
max range of target

Then....

Under 350mtr/yrd you will see no noticable differance in performance between a BT and a FB bullet
Over 350mtr/yrd the BT bullet will begin to show greater retained energy/velocity over the FB
Allow for at least 1000ft/lb for large species and 500ft/lb for smaller species, of terminal energy on target

Now having stated the parameters above, the Flat base bullet under 350mtr/yrd will kill as well/equally as a BT bullet and save you shed loads of money for that Africa budget.
If you have an intention to stretch your ranges past 350mtr/yrd then the higher bc/velocity/energy of the BT type bullet would come into play..... And if you intend to go to "Af" don't quible about the ammunition cost, but get your mitt in your pocket and use the best bullet you can afford.

Cheers when I get over there I will have a load with a premiem tough bullet especially for the trip.

Nutty

Ah, I see said the visually impared bloke......

Then I suggest 180 Sierra FB at 'ome, n 180 Gk's for 'awt else....

ATB.

Ratty.

Back