Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single shot

Single shot

Does anybody shoot with a single shot rifle? I'm thinking of having a custom build done in single shot for the range as well as stalking would it be practical do you think? I use my rifles with a cheek piece bullet holder so they would be quickly at hand for a second shot? what do you guys think?

I hunted with my Heym/Ruger falling block as my main stalking rifle for 30 years. I've shot from moose to muntjac and boar with it. I've shot the running moose range with it. Not easy but if I'm calm and collected have shot to a good standard.

I can confirm that Jagare can use that rifle to good effect because I've seen him shoot it. I wouldn't say that he was at any disadvantage with only a single shot. Makes you wonder really why some people think that a high capacity detachable magazine is essential equipment, and others seem to manage with only a single shot.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    I hunted with my Heym/Ruger falling block as my main stalking rifle for 30 years. I've shot from moose to muntjac and boar with it. I've shot the running moose range with it. Not easy but if I'm calm and collected have shot to a good standard.
    Thats a stunning looking rifle there buddy......

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I can confirm that Jagare can use that rifle to good effect because I've seen him shoot it. I wouldn't say that he was at any disadvantage with only a single shot. Makes you wonder really why some people think that a high capacity detachable magazine is essential equipment, and others seem to manage with only a single shot.
    I suppose it makes you even more conscious of getting you first shot right, I think what I'm going to do when I next go out is not use the magazine and try using it as a single shot then see how I feel about it after using it on some deer probably the best thing to do.....

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    There are a few people on here with single shots - Blaser K95's and Ruger No.1's as I recall.

I can only think of a handful of occasions over the years where using a single shot would have been a disadvantage, but then I don't have much opportunity to shoot fallow or red hinds.

​willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I love my ruger no1V, and have never found it to be at a disadvantage when stalking. I always slot a spare round between my fingers on my right hand and can reload fast enough for a second shot if required.
    using a cheek piece bullet holder is a good idea, you can just pull a bullet up high in the holder ready before you shoot.
    pity you live so far away mongoose, you could have come out for a try with mine.
    sinbad
    Last edited by sinbad; 31-03-2013 at 14:02. Reason: dont know my left from right
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

I've got a cheek piece bullet holder on the stock of my over and under also. I tend to treat that rifle more as a single shot if stalking and it's suprising how quick you can reload.

I would say that it's always a disadvantage and unethical due to not being able to take a rapid follow-up shot if required.

As for high capacity mags I shoot for management therefore I always carry at least 2, 5 five shot mags one in the rifle and one in my pocket plus 7 spare rounds on the side of the stock. I usually get lucky at some point in the season and empty both mags in a single sitting

Having a top loading mag helps as when there is a lull in the action you can top up the mag.

Management is obviously another issue - I was thinking purely as an occasional hobby stalker.