Single shot

MONGOOSE

Does anybody shoot with a single shot rifle? I'm thinking of having a custom build done in single shot for the range as well as stalking would it be practical do you think? I use my rifles with a cheek piece bullet holder so they would be quickly at hand for a second shot? what do you guys think?

I hunted with my Heym/Ruger falling block as my main stalking rifle for 30 years. I've shot from moose to muntjac and boar with it. I've shot the running moose range with it. Not easy but if I'm calm and collected have shot to a good standard.

I can confirm that Jagare can use that rifle to good effect because I've seen him shoot it. I wouldn't say that he was at any disadvantage with only a single shot. Makes you wonder really why some people think that a high capacity detachable magazine is essential equipment, and others seem to manage with only a single shot.

I hunted with my Heym/Ruger falling block as my main stalking rifle for 30 years. I've shot from moose to muntjac and boar with it. I've shot the running moose range with it. Not easy but if I'm calm and collected have shot to a good standard.

Thats a stunning looking rifle there buddy......

I can confirm that Jagare can use that rifle to good effect because I've seen him shoot it. I wouldn't say that he was at any disadvantage with only a single shot. Makes you wonder really why some people think that a high capacity detachable magazine is essential equipment, and others seem to manage with only a single shot.

I suppose it makes you even more conscious of getting you first shot right, I think what I'm going to do when I next go out is not use the magazine and try using it as a single shot then see how I feel about it after using it on some deer probably the best thing to do.....

There are a few people on here with single shots - Blaser K95's and Ruger No.1's as I recall.

I can only think of a handful of occasions over the years where using a single shot would have been a disadvantage, but then I don't have much opportunity to shoot fallow or red hinds.

​willie_gunn

I love my ruger no1V, and have never found it to be at a disadvantage when stalking. I always slot a spare round between my fingers on my right hand and can reload fast enough for a second shot if required.
using a cheek piece bullet holder is a good idea, you can just pull a bullet up high in the holder ready before you shoot.
pity you live so far away mongoose, you could have come out for a try with mine.
sinbad

Last edited:
I've got a cheek piece bullet holder on the stock of my over and under also. I tend to treat that rifle more as a single shot if stalking and it's suprising how quick you can reload.

I would say that it's always a disadvantage and unethical due to not being able to take a rapid follow-up shot if required.

As for high capacity mags I shoot for management therefore I always carry at least 2, 5 five shot mags one in the rifle and one in my pocket plus 7 spare rounds on the side of the stock. I usually get lucky at some point in the season and empty both mags in a single sitting:D

Having a top loading mag helps as when there is a lull in the action you can top up the mag.

Management is obviously another issue - I was thinking purely as an occasional hobby stalker.

Management is obviously another issue - I was thinking purely as an occasional hobby stalker.

I have a Blaser R93 for my management/culling work and a Ruger No1 for my stalking. I admire my Blaser buy I love my Ruger. Blaser in .243 as it's fairly flat out to 300yds and the Ruger is in 7x57, flatish out to 200yds then drops off.
If I could only have one then I'd choose the Ruger No1, there is just something really user friendly about it as it's short and easy to carry. I would also love a Heym Model 44, anyone on here got one?

ATB

Paul

Mr Lewis, I struggle to understand how using a single shot rifle can ever be considered unethical!!!
The reloading time is only slightly slower than a bolt action, and the time you get (if any) for a second shot is dictated by the deer not you.
sinbad

I have a no1 in 243. I don't use it that often normally for bucks. I have used it when shooting hinds and have never had an issue with reloading speed, in fact I've often reloaded and knocked down more than my companion beside me! (You know who you are :D )
like any rifle, practise with it, know it's capabilities. Admitably if I were going out with the intention of shooting numbers, I would take a BA rifle and spare mags.
Certainly nothing unethical about it!

I love my ruger no1V, and have never found it to be at a disadvantage when stalking. I always slot a spare round between my fingers on my right hand and can reload fast enough for a second shot if required.
using a cheek piece bullet holder is a good idea, you can just pull a bullet up high in the holder ready before you shoot.
pity you live so far away mongoose, you could have come out for a try with mine.
sinbad

Thanks for the offer buddy most kind shame I'm not closer :thumb:

Just collected my K95 in .243 for use on Roe. Deliberate choice. Can't wait to use it for the purpose that Kiplauf were meant for ;)

​Stan

I would say that it's always a disadvantage and unethical due to not being able to take a rapid follow-up shot if required.

As for high capacity mags I shoot for management therefore I always carry at least 2, 5 five shot mags one in the rifle and one in my pocket plus 7 spare rounds on the side of the stock. I usually get lucky at some point in the season and empty both mags in a single sitting:D

Having a top loading mag helps as when there is a lull in the action you can top up the mag.

im going to go down the range tomorrow and see what the difference is in reloading times, ive got a stop watch here ill get my mate to time it I would have though around 5 seconds but most curious.

Also I've only ever had to do one follow up shot and that was most certainly not what I would call "rapid" either but point taken.

I'm only what one would call a hobby stalker out once or twice a week so no management worries here but all my rifles have mags in at present.

Just collected my K95 in .243 for use on Roe. Deliberate choice. Can't wait to use it for the purpose that Kiplauf were meant for ;)

​Stan

Stan,

I am guessing you got it from Forest Lodge given your location and the fact I know they sold one this week. :lol:

Last edited:

Thats a bit of BS if I ever heard it !

I hunt some with Ruger #1's each year . There have been a number of days I've gotten more then one out of a group of whitetails with the single shot . Also been a time or two i needed a quick follow up and I was able to do that as well .

im going to go down the range tomorrow and see what the difference is in reloading times, ive got a stop watch here ill get my mate to time it I would have though around 5 seconds but most curious.

Also I've only ever had to do one follow up shot and that was most certainly not what I would call "rapid" either but point taken.

I'm only what one would call a hobby stalker out once or twice a week so no management worries here but all my rifles have mags in at present.

Don't forget to have your spare ammo as you would when stalking when doing your timed reloads as you wouldn't normally have a spare round in your hand ready for reloading when you are stalking

Have alook at this mongoose aprox 3 secs from shot to shot, slightly different to how I do it but the same result.
Also it takes 4 movements to reload a BA, done correctly it takes 3 movements (albiet slower) to reload the no1.
http://youtu.be/wk9YvTeev5c

Back