Thread: Securing a gun cabinet

Securing a gun cabinet

Does anyone have experience of securing a gun cabinet horizontally on the floor and if the police had any issues with its security. I have an ideal location to fit my new gun cabinet but it is on the first floor of my house and would be laid horizontally on the floor. Would the police accept a cabinet which is fixed to the floor joists or does it have to be a concrete foor/brick wall.

I'd like to hear of any issues SD members have had getting cabinets accepted in this way.

Cheers, Woollyback

one of mine is in the loft with coach bolts to joists i put a room alarm in and bobs your uncle 20yrs with no probs .

Quote Originally Posted by woollyback View Post
    Does anyone have experience of securing a gun cabinet horizontally on the floor and if the police had any issues with its security. I have an ideal location to fit my new gun cabinet but it is on the first floor of my house and would be laid horizontally on the floor. Would the police accept a cabinet which is fixed to the floor joists or does it have to be a concrete foor/brick wall.

I'd like to hear of any issues SD members have had getting cabinets accepted in this way.

Cheers, Woollyback

Woollyback,

Not me personally pal but a good friend of mine had his cabinet secured to the floor and the police where more than happy with it.

It states in the Home Office Firearms Security Handbook that:

It is a condition of the issue of a firearm certificate that the firearms and shotguns to which
    the certificate relates must be stored securely at all times (except in certain circumstances) so as
    to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, access to the guns by unauthorised persons.

As Long as it is secured properly then you shouldn't have any dramas pal.

ATB

Quote Originally Posted by woollyback View Post

Cheers, Woollyback
    my feo told me securing the cabinet to joists in the loft via coach bolts is ok but anywhere else its got to be concrete, mine has had to go in the loft as I have no concrete walls or floors in the house.......

Velcro works really well, and I'm not joking when I say it takes about an hour to get it off if you do most of the back of the cabinet! Just to clear as well mine is not fixed to the wall with Velcro but we did want to see how good it was!

When I moved house I asked the local Firearms officer to come out and suggest locations for my cabinet and his first choice was bolted to the floor upstairs. I checked with the cabinet manufacturers, Brattonsound, and they strongly advised against it as my cabinet has the multi bolt locking system and they said it relies on gravity to operate so should always be mounted upright.

James.

I had to do this once when I got tied accommodation with a job in a timber frame building with nothing solid in the walls to fix to. I bolted it into the floor which was also timber but I was able to fix it more securely that way, police were fine with it, I then positioned my bed over the top of it too so it's was totally out of sight......
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

I suppose it would depend on each FEO but my last cabinet was laid horizontally and bolted to the joists with coach screws, he was happy enough with it.