Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22-250 roe

.22-250 roe

This will probably go down a treat but how do people find the 50grain vmax bullets on roe? They shoot a lot better than the sako soft points I was using previously,(and most of the time the rifle gets used on vermin). Im not sure whether they will punch through a roe enough though. Not too worried about carcass damage in the front legs as theres not much there.

Interested to hear your views but not the whole "ballistic tips shouldnt be used for deer debate". I have seen 55grain vmaxs used on roe to good effect but worried the 50's will be too light?

I have been using ppu's in my 22.250 on the roe and found i have had to track 2 roe does over the past few months. Both shots good but they just ran. 2 of my mates have found this as well they load with sp . Another mate uses ballistic tips with no problem loin and back legs ok

Pendle
    If its hit its history / If its missed its a mystery

A gun is always loaded .A mule always kicks

nothing wrong with Vmax on roe I used to use them a lot when I had a 22.250

Thanks for the replies. That's exactly what I wanted to hear!

I used to use vmax and nosler bt's. If you are not worried about bruising the front end and want the beasts dead where they stand these bullets do the job, but if you want a good clean (most meat retention) carcass you may need to rethink your bullet choice. I now use 55gn sierra soft points and they have been very acceptable in the meat damage aspect. You will have to decide yourself which way you go.

I believe if I were gonna use the 250 on Roe I'd opt for the Nosler 60 BT or Hornady 60 V Max .

I use 50gr vmax on foxes and had considered using them for head/neck shots or possibly a close chest until I got a surface splash on a chest shot fox. Wide shallow wound with obviously some internal damage as it dropped the fox.

its a .222 so not running as fast but that only goes against you running them faster I would have thought.
    have now perfected a 60gr soft point round for roe. Much more energy and a bullet designed for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I use 50gr vmax on foxes and had considered using them for head/neck shots or possibly a close chest until I got a surface splash on a chest shot fox. Wide shallow wound with obviously some internal damage as it dropped the fox.

its a .222 so not running as fast but that only goes against you running them faster I would have thought.
    have now perfected a 60gr soft point round for roe. Much more energy and a bullet designed for the job.
    I`m interested in this perfected round of yours, would be interested in the chance to try some !!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	26580

Still have to try a few more seating depths to see if I can shrink it smaller but three shots in two holes 1/2" apart will do me just fine!!
    never shot a roe over 100 yds anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	26580

Still have to try a few more seating depths to see if I can shrink it smaller but three shots in two holes 1/2" apart will do me just fine!!
    never shot a roe over 100 yds anyway!
    I have ,, but would be happy to with any setup that shot that group.

I`m using 50`s,, atm,, sako factory, cause I can`t get 55`s and am also debating home rolling, so these sound very interesting.

Any plans to knock one over with one any time soon?