Thread: Broken Curve (Jaw) On Young Fallow Buck – Ideas On Cause?

Broken Curve (Jaw) On Young Fallow Buck – Ideas On Cause?

Not sure how many others actually do this but over the last two years I have collected all Male Species heads and jaws, and in total have about 50 specimens. Excluding those taken during park culls and driven shoots…

It’s not for any particular reason apart from I am interested in keeping a record (I document both sexes but only keep the males) and primarily looking at the lower jaw for ageing purposes.

Although I have seen many differences in tooth decay, wear, pmi – pmiii and M1 – M3, and staining. This is the first time I have seen the “Angle” (lower curve of the ramus/body) broken/damaged, and a crack just above.

Has anyone else seen this in and what are the likely causes????

This fallow buck isn’t at a guess any more than in its second year…really good body weight and clearly wasn’t affected by this!!!

Cheers

Ben

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lower Jaw 002.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	26527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lower Jaw 003.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	26528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lower Jaw 004.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	26529
    Conservation biology is the scientific study of biodiversity with the aim of protecting species, their habitats, and ecosystems from excessive rates of extinction and the erosion of biotic interactions. Hunting advocates that hunting is necessary component of modern wildlife management, for example to help maintain a population of healthy animals within an environment's ecological carrying capacity.

Hi
    I have a Roe buck skull where the lower jaw on one side was broken, including where it pivots at the skull which had recovered.

Following a period of observation, where I could not see any reason for it to be limping badly, I culled it. It was in good condition but missing a hoof completely on a front foot and the wound was weeping. I suspect involved with a rabbit snare.

Broken jaw seems to fit a car mirror collision.

L

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Hi
    I have a Roe buck skull where the lower jaw on one side was broken, including where it pivots at the skull which had recovered.

Following a period of observation, where I could not see any reason for it to be limping badly, I culled it. It was in good condition but missing a hoof completely on a front foot and the wound was weeping. I suspect involved with a rabbit snare.

Broken jaw seems to fit a car mirror collision.

L
    +1 for the car collision

David

If this is really a young buck it is possible for ruminants to break damage the jaw during birth , which will heal very easily and cause the animal little or no bother , I've seen it in both cattle and sheep .