Thread: Last doe of the fallow season

Last doe of the fallow season

Just went for a look yesterday after numerous attempts at them. I have found I could get close to them when I tried but couldn't get a safe shot.
    But when I first got to my ground yesterday I saw three does just making there way out of a garden and onto my ground ,so I thought great I have seen these do this many times so I know where they were going to go, just as they were going to cross the boundary they turned and went back for some reason, hey but that's stalking for you.
    So I decided to head off towards the wood to see if I could catch some out, when i got onto the grass paddock leading to the wood, we had had a really bad frost so I just decided to walk to the wood normally as it was impossible to walk quietly. After I had walked about two thirds of the way to the wood, I suddenly saw movement in the corner of the wood. So I looked through the binoculars and saw a fallow, knowing there was also going to be more but not sure which group this was. So I steadied my self and took the shot, and she dropped on the spot. So a good end for the season for me, sorry I can't seem to rotate the picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chelmsford-20130331-00067.jpg  

Finish of the season with a success thats the way well done

Especially after all the bad luck I have had. Stalking properly, then just go for a walk with the gun and get one lol.
    ​suppose that's stalking for you, sometimes you just get lucky

Personally speaking, I would not have shot the Doe, especially so late in the season, but then That's me

Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    Personally speaking, I would not have shot the Doe, especially so late in the season, but then That's me
    I suppose it all depends on peoples cull plans the unusually bad weather we have have had has put people behind on there cull. You can also see from the pic this is a fallow fawn so it will not be in calf.

Quote Originally Posted by crouch valley View Post
    I suppose it all depends on peoples cull plans the unusually bad weather we have have had has put people behind on there cull. You can also see from the pic this is a fallow fawn so it will not be in calf.
    exactly right cv. Round our neck of the woods if it's got nice antlers its dead, so far this year I have refused to shoot two big bucks (they are safe as long as they stay on my ground)because we lack bucks round our way but have a fair few does.