Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: budget scopes for 308

budget scopes for 308

I am getting a 308 from my local FD, and although I would love to be picking a ziess, swaro etc to adorn her, that boat sailed!!!

The lad in the shop keeps all the top end stuff, however has mentioned the Hawke - endurance/eclipse as a valid choice, and his hunting partner has one on a 308 and loves it (these lads have put massive numbers on the grass day and night).

What I would like to ask the great and good of SD is, thoughts on glass in that prce bracket (250) .#

Hawke, Vector, Vortex, Redfield etc - I would prefer one witha ill dot if possible

Any feedback appreciated
    Marrajack

I'll be the first to state the obvious.... Forget new scopes with that budget. My advice would be to buy a secondhand Zeiss/Swarovski 6x42, it will cost you 250-300 but will always be worth that. After that put a fiver a week in a pot and in a couple of years upgrade to a 3-12. Trust me, you will never regret buying good optics.

+1
    get the best you afford the glass do's make the gun buy cheap buy twice
    from the names in your post i would go redfield but then again i would not put poor glass on top of any of my toys ebay feller/uk/usa. save up and get what scope you wish you had got don't rush for poor glass.

Have a look at fixed mag second hand meopta and Edgar brothers

The Hawke Endurance30 IR 3-12X50 or 56mm I have 2, one on a Ruger No.1 in 7x57, and the other on a Sauer 202 XT in 7mm Rem Mag....try Uttings you will not be disappointed ATB Tony

I concur with most of what has already been said but with two exceptions. Forget about Redfield, had one once and it was the worst scope I have ever owned so unless they have changed you will be wasting your money. As for Uttings great until something goes wrong then you will find that their service is utter rubbish.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I concur with most of what has already been said but with two exceptions. Forget about Redfield, had one once and it was the worst scope I have ever owned so unless they have changed you will be wasting your money. As for Uttings great until something goes wrong then you will find that their service is utter rubbish.
    Redfields are rubbish had a new one on the rifle one day came as a combo deal with the rifle still in the drawer so bad I would not sell it to anyone as I would think I had cheated them

70's ones were good as used by carlos hathcock usmc snipper proven scope as vgood but as i said i would not put a cheap scope on my toys all mine are S&B 8x56 or Big Sky SIIBSS 6.5-20x50D so not the cheap end of glass
    Last edited by paul o'; 01-04-2013 at 13:43.

I paid 250 for my second hand 8X56 S&B though they usually make a bit more these days. I could probably sell it for more than I paid for it.

Don't buy rubbish, and don't read reviews of glass written by Americans as they have a totally different perspective on the meaning of "good" than we do. Even if you have to save a little longer, and another 50 would offer you a lot more options, hold out for a good second hand fixed magnification scope. I think S&B are probably the best value, Zeiss have the best glass and Swaro have a strong brand image. Something 6X42 or 8X56 will do you for a lifetime and don't worry about illumination - I shoot sika in dark commercial forestry at last light and have never needed an illuminated scope. You might want it, but you don't need it.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Iv got a 8x56 S&B Hungarian on mine, paid around 300 for that. Great scope and I love it, good in low light, fixed power isnt an issue I find. Second hand Zeiss Duralyt if you could find one might be worth a look??
    Aim Small, Miss Small