Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can the SD have a voice in politics?

Can the SD have a voice in politics?

On one of the other threads, forgive me I canít remember which one, it was asked is the SD, now it has 10,000 members, would ever have a voice in politics.

We in my view yes it can.

Both BASC, and I think the CA have used forums in the past to get members on there to lobby, take part in polls, e-mail their MP , MeP, or prospective PCC and so on.

Forums are a great way of getting messages out to an audience, and as so many forums are discipline specific this is a great help.

For example, late on last year there were some very real direct threats to transporting airguns and their component parts in the post, through a couple of the airgun forums as well as e-mails to our airgun members, we managed to elicit a massive response to the royal mail consultation and the initial threat was averted.

Increasingly electronic media, including Twitter, Facebook and forums are becoming more and more important in lobbying.

Also with forums there are thousands of eyes and ears reading papers, web reports, listening to radio that can pick up shooting stories / issues and report them back to the organisations.

Admittedly many of the organisations will use press / media monitoring services to pick up the main stories, but never the less I know we would rather have 100 people tell us about the same story they have seen rather than 100 people assume we already know and not get in touch Ė remember some of the regional media for example will be missed off the monitoring services.

So in my view forums not only have a voice, they have a very important roll in keeping shooting safe.

David

I would think you are right David, but that would be based upon all the members supporting the one issue. So, as long as the issue doesn't involve calibre, vehicles, head shots, distance shots, english versus scots rules, makes of rifles, training requirements or (of course) shooting organisations, we should be a force to be recognised
    .308, because if I want to watch something run away, I'll take my dog for a walk.

About time Admin took this crap off of the site again David BASC is trying to use this site a a pawn in there game .

​This site if you have not noticed is about Deer Stalking

Surely campaigning against things that may prevent you stalking, should be posted here. Or are you one of the hunter/ shooters in this country who believe if you ignore it, then it wil go away. Believe it or not it will go away, of course I mean your sport not the issues.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    About time Admin took this crap off of the site again David BASC is trying to use this site a a pawn in there game .

​This site if you have not noticed is about Deer Stalking
    Talk about shooting the messenger WS!

Why is it there are people on here who just can't resist having a pop at David because of his employer?

I am afraid your comment don't represent my feelings on this post mate. I'm with Taff on this one.

Do you know under 100 people complained to the PCC about The Suns inaccurate front page spread on Assault Rifles for sale in the UK? I'm watching the Anti Aigun ban in Scotland petition struggle to achieve the kind of interest we got over the WH Smith censorship of shooting magazines and wondering how we expect to stop the constant erosion of shooting without all individually making a more positive contribution.

Meanwhile there are 10,000 people signed up to this site that one must assume are at least interested in shooting who could do something positively to protect our sport but cant be arsed to do anything but have a pop at those who would.

Theres a special name for people like that. Can't think of the word..... Anyone?
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

I think that we should take note of what David BASC has said. The internet is a powerful tool to rapidly disseminate information and gain support for our cause. You can be damn sure that the antis are already aware of this and doing so to gain support for theirs. atb Tim

There is a huge difference between registered membership and active members.
    Having said that the internet is a powerful tool, just thinking back to WH Smith when they temporarily banned the sale of shooting magazines to the under 14's, that ban didn't last long!
    Cheers
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    I think that we should take note of what David BASC has said. The internet is a powerful tool to rapidly disseminate information and gain support for our cause. You can be damn sure that the antis are already aware of this and doing so to gain support for theirs. atb Tim
    +1 on that. And as for only 100 people complaining to the PCC about the Sun newspaper I don't believe that it was only 100 because locally I know of three shooters who complained plus myself. Keep up the pressure to maintain shooting and use every tool possible or we will soon be in a position like Holland.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by David BASC View Post
    On one of the other threads, forgive me I can’t remember which one, it was asked is the SD, now it has 10,000 members, would ever have a voice in politics.

We in my view yes it can.

Both BASC, and I think the CA have used forums in the past to get members on there to lobby, take part in polls, e-mail their MP , MeP, or prospective PCC and so on.

Forums are a great way of getting messages out to an audience, and as so many forums are discipline specific this is a great help.

For example, late on last year there were some very real direct threats to transporting airguns and their component parts in the post, through a couple of the airgun forums as well as e-mails to our airgun members, we managed to elicit a massive response to the royal mail consultation and the initial threat was averted.

Increasingly electronic media, including Twitter, Facebook and forums are becoming more and more important in lobbying.

Also with forums there are thousands of eyes and ears reading papers, web reports, listening to radio that can pick up shooting stories / issues and report them back to the organisations.

Admittedly many of the organisations will use press / media monitoring services to pick up the main stories, but never the less I know we would rather have 100 people tell us about the same story they have seen rather than 100 people assume we already know and not get in touch – remember some of the regional media for example will be missed off the monitoring services.

So in my view forums not only have a voice, they have a very important roll in keeping shooting safe.

David

David,

You come across as shrewd and intelligent in your posts, you defend Basc very well and when needed you do admit shortcomings. That's all very well and I admire that.
    YOU MUST BE BONKERS THINKING THAT THIS SITE CAN HAVE SOME VOICE IN POLITICAL MATTERS
    Sorry for the caps lock but i do hope you take my point.
    I am sure i don't need to defend that statement. Yes some members here could sit down and discuss matters on shooting very well and i would suppose some will know all about laws and regulations, that's not just knowing what calibers are out there either or what google says or wikipedia for that matter.
    You carry on as too does the bds and only take advice from your grass roots stalkers and shooters (those deemed as professionals if you wish) as you and all others have done for years.

off to bed now so i will see how this develops later

I thought that would be thread about 10,000 people with guns doing contr-revolution