Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Expensive Wrist watches

Expensive Wrist watches

After seeing an advert on here and some comments that were coming up I thought I would put it out there. I personally have never really understood the reason for buying a Rolex, Breitling etc for multiple 1000s. Apart from an investment why wear thousands of pounds on your wrist that could get damaged scratched etc etc when something for 100 can look as nice in my opinion and do the same job? As I said its something I personally dont understand and appreciate different people have different views.

You wouldn't be asking this question if money were no object
    I like the look of Tag Heuer but they are out of my price range.
    Cheers
    Richard

why buy a blaser or sauer when you could buy a cz?

why buy a Mercedes or BMW when you could buy a ford?

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by lordy View Post
    After seeing an advert on here and some comments that were coming up I thought I would put it out there. I personally have never really understood the reason for buying a Rolex, Breitling etc for multiple 1000s. Apart from an investment why wear thousands of pounds on your wrist that could get damaged scratched etc etc when something for 100 can look as nice in my opinion and do the same job? As I said its something I personally dont understand and appreciate different people have different views.
    By that token, why spend thousands on a rifle and optics when they are going to be dragged through the mire, scratched and stained? Or why spend thousands on a new car when an old runner will do the job?

It's just down to personal choice. A good handmade watch is more than just a simple timepiece. Some people appreciate the effort that goes into making such a complicated object that will withstand the challenges of temperature, humidity, shock, etc. Many watches are also an investment - when you sell it, it will likely be worth as much as you paid for it if not more. And they look nice!

Life would be incredibly boring if we all had the same watch...the same clothes...the same rifle...the same caliber....

​willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

But a rifle, shotgun will feel different, optics will perform better I can't see 10k worth of watch is going to tell the time that much better than a 100 timepiece or feel any different. I can understand craftsmanship involved but some of the price tags are massive. But then as said 10k to some people is the same as me buying a pint down the pub.

Why buy a Rolex - to make a statement, people believe that it gives them status, the same reason people buy Range Rovers (a real knobs vehicle), flashy BMWs, etc. In reality most people with such cars haven't got a pot to pee in and they are up to their eyes in debt. In reality once you come into money the items you use to desire and think you would like become irrelevant as they are now within your reach and are of no interest, and anonymity becomes more important, in essence those that boast the most generally have the least.

My philosophy is to spend your money to make you happy and not to try and alter the way other people perceive you, I find it a sad fact that we have become so materialistic these days, and that people will get themselves into debt for the most stupid reasons.

Well, all I can say is I have a nice watch, and every time I look at it to tell the time it puts a smile on my face, simple as that, it's not there for anyone else's benefit but mine, there's no one forcing you to buy one if you don't want one to why worry about it?
    ​mine has seen the inside of plenty of red deer, it is a functional time piece and gets covered in crap whenever I do.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by lordy View Post
    But a rifle, shotgun will feel different, optics will perform better I can't see 10k worth of watch is going to tell the time that much better than a 100 timepiece or feel any different. I can understand craftsmanship involved but some of the price tags are massive. But then as said 10k to some people is the same as me buying a pint down the pub.
    A Holland & Holland won't feel that diffent to a Beretta and yet both of them will kill birds or smash targets just the same. What you're paying for with the Holland & Holland is the hours of craftsmanship that went into making it.

A fine watch is no different. It will contain thousands of parts, many of them made and assembled by hand, and yet it can still tell the time to a fraction of a second year after year without the need for batteries or winding.

A watch - even a 1.99 job from the garage - is a real technical marvel, yet we barely give them a second thought and treat them as disposable items. What a shame.

​willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

No matter if its scuba diving , cars or watches,

You play the game to the level you can afford!

My brother says "he who dies with the most toys, wins". He's currently winning.