Larsen not working?

Munty_Hunter

:confused:

I am currently running a couple of larsen traps on the shoot and have cleared almost all of the magpies. All but one group which occupy fields nearest the farm buildings and cottages. Same last year, i just cannot catch the beggers!
I have not had any released so they should not be educated have tried numerous call birds and bates.

Any suggestions Doug and Trouble, i thought you might have some ideas?

I think i have seen where one pair are nest building this morning, so perhaps give them a wake up call with the shotgun one evening when next there with the lamp. :evil:

I would delete the above post, or at the very least modify it to remove the illegal use of illumination for the purpose of taking a magpie.

Maybe try another call bird to pee em off or put both larsens next to each other so they think it's a new pair on the block .
​cheers doug

Thanks we will be out lamping foxes and shoot the silhouettes of the birds without the lamp, but thanks for your concern :D

Hi Doug, have tried two birds in the decoy section but not two traps. Perhaps a pairs of cock birds might get more reaction :oops:

Groups of corvids are usualy signal sex groups and havent set up teratories , put the trap out of sight in a shed for a while and let them set up for a week or so then try again , try some cracked pheasant eggs . Early larsen trapping is good around ponds to start as ducks lay eggs first and corvids know this , its their job

Let them start nesting and then put the trap close, try raising the trap off the ground to stop them going round the outside by putting it up on a barrel or similar assuming its a top entry.

Are the 'clam' type of larsens mate legal in england. A lot off kepers rave about them north of border for catching tricky birds that walk round the outside. Think there legality was a grey area up here for a while but all sorted and legal now, but i'm not familar with the english general licence differences

Would definately reccomend using a larsens mate to mop up the others.

I started using 1 last year and caught more in it than in the actual trap it was sitting beside.

Groups of corvids are usualy signal sex groups and havent set up teratories , put the trap out of sight in a shed for a while and let them set up for a week or so then try again , try some cracked pheasant eggs . Early larsen trapping is good around ponds to start as ducks lay eggs first and corvids know this , its their job

Thanks Trouble, they are definitely paired up. The first birds i caught were around a small pond on this thinking but these birds do not extend to any water bodies. I have caught a cock and a hen today but the others just don't want to know. No other birds left on the patch for now! I'm obviously winning as last year i had 48 this year only 12 so far.
They are constantly around the traps when in their area so i think the 204 might have to sort them instead.

Try make a false nest in the trap and put a few eggs in it ,it works for me ,they just can't help themselves and dive straight in.

Sure you know this but will make the point for novice trappers larsens will not work very well in a feeding area best to place them near nesting site where birds are protective of their space.
once put one under a tree where crows were nesting walked 200 yds away turned round and walked back took the pair out all within 30 mins max

Hi mate i sure you know this already but even moving the trap 20 feet can make all the difference
having said that im finding it more difficult this year for some reason
all the best Graham

Back