Thread: Season dates - problem remembering

Season dates - problem remembering

Hi all

I've put off doing my DSC1 purely because I cannot remember dates i.e. the open seasons. Its a problem I've had all my life & even my children's birthdays I have to write in my diary every year.

I have tried using a system like fem-no-mar & buck-ap-oct ie Female-November-March & Buck-April-October but with limited success.

I may scape through if English dates came up but as for the Scottish ones ...... no chance.

Anyone got a method for remembering specific dates?

ATB
    Chris

looks like two of us pal i've had my new tel number for four weeks can only remember the first six digits so far I am brilliant with working with numbers but remember in is a different case all together. I wood surgest breaking them down into speciaes catorgories most share the same dates then take it to the next step.
    BASC done a quiz on there site late last years surround dates etc for dsc level1 which i found preety good. Ask your children to test you over the weekend, all the best

Stalking dates

Chris
    You have an E mail (not PM)

Regards
    Tony

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Chris

I haven't been able to come up with a mnemonic for this, but as I recall (bear in mind it was 10 years ago ) on the DSC1 exam in England they only ask you for the English dates. I also seem to remember it was always answer (d)....or maybe that was just what I put

That makes it a lot easier as really you only need to remember two dates:

Stags/Bucks (except roe) - 1 Aug to 30 Apr
    All Does/Hinds (plus CWD) - 1 Nov to 31 Mar

Roebucks are the exception to the above, but they are easy as they are just the reverse of the does - so 1 Apr to 31 Oct

Muntjac are all year round.

willie_gunn

season dates

I am another with a sieve for a memory, I have to rely on she who must be obeyed to get all the cards & dates right, even for my own Mum & Dad /kids from 1st marriage, funny how you can only retain the ones that seem unimportant like grain weights for loads, barrel twists, bullet b.c. etc! , why do they put so much emphasis on it when all you need is an up to date card / aide memoir from b.a.s.c.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Chris

A variation on the above (it's obviously a quiet day ) but what about remembering:

FAO MMJ

Bear with me on this one! It's for close seasons (rather than the open season dates I had above)

Female
    1 April to
    31 October

Male
    1 May to
    31 July

Then you'd just need to remember that the roe buck close season is 1 November to 31 March.

Personally I'm 100% with finnbear270 on this one. I can't see any point in forcing people to remember dates when all they need to do is pull out the cheatsheet from BASC.

willie_gunn