Thread: 7x65r what is it good for?

7x65r what is it good for?

I am starting to research a project which will be based around a continental round, probably the 7x65r or maybe the 8x57IRS or the 8x75RS. My idea is to have an all species deer rifle for the UK and maybe good for some boar as well.

Will any of the above calibers do all I want as set out above with ease (depending on me doing my part) and also be usable on the continent with no restrictions. I appreciate that France has different rules on military calibers so would any of the three calibers be usable in France. Sorry if this is a basic question but any advice would be appreciated.
    Which of the thee calibers would be the best all round comprimise for a great all rounder.

Regards

Matthew

I'd have the 7x57R in a Single shot break action to aid extraction same goes for a double rifle but, in a bolt gun I'd be looking at 7x64 or 8x68 maybe even 9.3x62.

Atb
    ​Moses
    "If you don't belong, don't be long"

SD Regular
    8x57JRS will do everything that your 7x65R will do weight for weight and then go beyond to heavweights of 196 grains and even 227 grains.

Even with 150 grain bullets the 8x57R will out perform the 7x65R in the velocity charts.

BUT!

I work in France and would say that just marginally 7x65R ammunition is now slightly easier to see on gun shop shelves than is 8x57JRS. But for deer and wild boar I'd maybe choose 8x57JRS if wild boar were the main game and for deer and boar if deer were main game I'd choose 7x65R.

8x75R is an entirely different round and can't really be compared with either 8x57JRS or 7x65R.

Oh. Avoid offers to sell you secondhand 8x57JR (the older .318" bullet)...ammunition WILL be extremely scarce!

8x57JRS is totally legal in France. It is its rimless "parent" 8x57JS the old WWI and WWII 7.92mm Mauser that is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by seibassman7 View Post
    I am starting to research a project which will be based around a continental round, probably the 7x65r or maybe the 8x57IRS or the 8x75RS. My idea is to have an all species deer rifle for the UK and maybe good for some boar as well.

Will any of the above calibers do all I want as set out above with ease (depending on me doing my part) and also be usable on the continent with no restrictions. I appreciate that France has different rules on military calibers so would any of the three calibers be usable in France. Sorry if this is a basic question but any advice would be appreciated.
    Which of the thee calibers would be the best all round comprimise for a great all rounder.

Regards

Matthew
    The 7x65r will be good for just about anything you want to shoot with a single shot, double or combination gun, save for really big tough stuff, in which case you need the 375 h&h or 416 Rigby or in a double the 470 nitro.

I'm surprised by what Enfieldspares says about the availability of 8x57jrs in gunshops in France because it's one of the more common cartridges over there and I have always seen it in on the shelves in every gunshop in France that I have visited, but there again he is in current contact with the situation so should know. As much as I like the 8x57jrs cartridge what you will find is that 8mm bullets for reloading are not very common in this country and you will probably have to order them while 7mm bullets are available most places.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I have a 7x65r drilling and find it a fantastic calibre, very versatile flat shooting 142grain bullets as well as pretty good 175gr heavier rounds that still have taken animals to 160m with ease, and with a thump!

For my day to day I am a .308 fan but the drilling has a certain 'something' about it and the 7x65r out does the 7x57r and I wanted something I could justify to FEO as I had a 308 so wanted a 7mm.

thank you for the replies they are very informative and confirm that I am on the right track. Regards Matthew