Any Autoelectrcians on here?

limulus

Help!
Ive replaced the towing socket on the L200 (poor design for the bracket means it regularly gets thwacked going over rough ground) and now my rear indicators dont work.
Ive used a 7 pin socket and doubled up the appropriate coloured wires as there seems to be two of just about everything except the white (earth?) blue and purple(fogs?)
Side lights, brake lights, reversing and fog lights all work...just the bloomin indicators.
All fuses are ok.
Front indicators and side indicators work but at double rate (fault mode)

I'm certain it was a 7 pin socket but I'm wondering why so many wires (2 yellow, 2 black, 2 red, 2 brown, 2 green, 1 white much thicker than the others, 1 blue and 1 purple)

Usual wiring is 1=l/h ind yellow 2=fog lamp blue 3= white earth 4= green r/h ind 5= r/h tail brown 6= brake red 7= l/h tail black

Not sure if this is any help,

Pin 1 on socket Yellow LH indicator
Pin 2 Blue supply from fog light switch
Pin 3 White earth
Pin 4 Green RH indicator
Pin 5 Brown RH side and tail lamps
Pin 6 Red stop lamps
Pin 7 Black LH side and stop lamps

Not seen a purple wire on a 7 pin plug before or double wires coming from the pins (assuming thats what you're talking about rather than from the vehicle side). Have fitted 4 tow bars and the electrics on various vehicles over the last two years (including an L200). Is it a new attachment you are putting on and if so do you know what make the new one is or if it came with a relay?

The old 7pin connector was ripped away from the bracket (along with part of the bracket!). I'm using the old wiring with a new connector. Its a witter tow bar fit from new.

Check the wires from pins 1 & 4 as they are the power in cables for the indicators for the LH and RH respectively.
Sounds like both are either broken or disconnected (could be at the connection to the original wiring)

Ed

The original cable is plugged in to a socket under the rear wing and is looped and cable tied and doesnt indicate that its been pulled at all.

Just had a quick look and it does seem like maybe the old one was a 13 pin socket. Googled it and the colours are pretty consistent with what you have said (minus the purple one) and white seems to be thicker also. The yellow wires are for left indicator and reversing on the 13 pin socket. May be a good test to connect the trailer and put it in reverse. If the trailer left indicator goes on then that would be the cause.

Back