.22 subsonics grouping

Mungo

I'm a bit concerned that something has gone wrong with either me of my set up (clearly the former is the most likely), so I'd appreciate any ideas...

...what would people expect to be a normal group size for .22LR subsonics (Winchester) at 50m? 10 rounds, out of a CZ .455 American, off a bipod.

Many thanks.

my brno mod 2 off a bipod is easily 5 shots within a 10p coin at 50m when there's no wind and I use a sandbag under the butt. However, is it a new rifle to you, is it new ammo to you or the rifle, have you checked if the scope is tight, reticle is stable, is the mod on tight, have you tried other ammunition, have you recently cleaned it? etc.

more info please Mungo :)

I can put high speed ammo into an half inch at 50M with any of my CZ/Brno rifles if the gun likes the ammo. Subs the same. It depends on whether the rifle likes the ammo in question. Don't clean it. Just shoot it. If you switch ammo fire 10 shots before you go for serious grouping. I was shooting 1.2" square wooden blocks at 100 M last night with my BRno from a bipod. Didn't miss much.~Muir

Maybe stating the bleeding obvious but any change without the bipod? The CZ seems to be either a very light bed at the top of the stock or slightly floated. Might be worth checking. My 10/22 will do 10 shots into a group of 1/2" at fifty with the correct scope...

my brno mod 2 off a bipod is easily 5 shots within a 10p coin at 50m when there's no wind and I use a sandbag under the butt. However, is it a new rifle to you, is it new ammo to you or the rifle, have you checked if the scope is tight, reticle is stable, is the mod on tight, have you tried other ammunition, have you recently cleaned it? etc.

+1

Thanks for the replies folks - plenty to think about.

I'm getting 0.5 inch groups, but with every fifth or sixth shot going up to an inch wide (with no consistent pattern to where it ends up).

I will go over the whole set up and see if I can find the problem.

One of mine did this, turned out to be one of the magazines feeding the last round high, as it entered the chamber it was getting a lump of lead shaved off.
Try single loading and see if it makes any difference.

Neil. :)

I can put high speed ammo into an half inch at 50M with any of my CZ/Brno rifles if the gun likes the ammo. Subs the same. It depends on whether the rifle likes the ammo in question. Don't clean it. Just shoot it. If you switch ammo fire 10 shots before you go for serious grouping. I was shooting 1.2" square wooden blocks at 100 M last night with my BRno from a bipod. Didn't miss much.~Muir

That's interesting I've been asked what groups the 22lr I'm selling will do at 100yds which I have to test as I've never tried. Hoping to tnite but the 20mph wind might make it tricky, so gonna set up straight into it and give it a go!!

It's clover leaf at 50yds with CCI subs so I'd expect an inch or so group at 100?!

Stratts

Hi mungo,

I've got a 455 varmint thumbhole and at 50 yards I was getting group of bout 3/4'' although no getting any fliers so I swapped to eley subs and the group really tightened up to a ragged clover leaf! Eley club were really accurate as well but there not hollow point

That's interesting I've been asked what groups the 22lr I'm selling will do at 100yds which I have to test as I've never tried. Hoping to tnite but the 20mph wind might make it tricky, so gonna set up straight into it and give it a go!!

It's clover leaf at 50yds with CCI subs so I'd expect an inch or so group at 100?!

Stratts

Not in a 20 mph wind!
It depends on the gun. Accuracy is seldom linear. An inch should come through for you.~Muir

I'm a bit concerned that something has gone wrong with either me of my set up (clearly the former is the most likely), so I'd appreciate any ideas...

...what would people expect to be a normal group size for .22LR subsonics (Winchester) at 50m? 10 rounds, out of a CZ .455 American, off a bipod.

Many thanks.

I wouldn't be surprised if your stock has moved slightly in this lovely weather we're having and a slightly different hold with the 'pod on is causing it to touch the barrel.

Easy enough to take some more wood out of the barrel channel to give a bit more air around the barrel. I ended up using a good old Parker Hale .22 sound moderator with a bit of sandpaper wrapped around it and backwards and forwards in the channel. Wiped some varnish on with a rag/kitchen towel to seal it.

Cheers

​Fizz

...ended up using a good old Parker Hale .22 sound moderator with a bit of sandpaper wrapped around it and backwards and forwards in the channel. Wiped some varnish on with a rag/kitchen towel to seal it.

Cheers

​Fizz

You're as "bad" as me...I used my bore guide wrapped in sandpaper.

Back