10 6.29%
  • occasionally

10 6.29%
  • If I remember!

1 0.63%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who uses ear defence with a moderator

Who uses ear defence with a moderator

As above, how many use ear defence when using moderators? They may take away the bag but what about the pressure wave?

Pardon? What did you say?

Should that not be, I heard that pardon!?

voted never as i don't do range paper targets any more but i use sonic plugs when i did shoot with club in stanta norfolk but then again iam deaf from not useing now't years ago when i was ARD and dumb

I always use ear protection on the range and when shotgun shooting, but never when stalking. atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    As above, how many use ear defence when using moderators? They may take away the bag but what about the pressure wave?
    The bang is the pressure wave - it is the pressure that causes your ear to "hear" things hence why the loudness of a sound is often referred to as "SPL" or "Sound Pressure Level" and is referenced to an absolute pressure measurement.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    The bang is the pressure wave - it is the pressure that causes your ear to "hear" things hence why the loudness of a sound is often referred to as "SPL" or "Sound Pressure Level" and is referenced to an absolute pressure measurement.
    So, do we need ear protection when using a moderator?

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    So, do we need ear protection when using a moderator?
    A moderator reduces the SPL by about 30dB.

Good figures I've seen using a fast meter put a 308W at about 165 - 170dB(C)

Impulse noise, like the very fast bang of a rifle, is very different in terms of the damage it can do to your hearing and it is also very complex and I am not aware of any absolute treatment of it that says something like "exposure to 100 moderated gun shots at an SPL of 140dB(C) will result in a hearing loss of..."

It is also the case that different people respond differently to SPLs and that, for most people, there is a stronger ear (usually the right) which is less prone to damage. Making a general statement is difficult and with impulse noise there is little or no research that would give any basis for such a general statement.

In general it is considered that SPLs above around 140dB(A) act different on your hearing system to SPLs below this level and the "damage" can be out of all proportion to the actual SPL. Above about 150dB(A) it is considered possible that physical damage resulting in almost instant and almost total hearing loss may happen, though many people are exposed to such SPLs without suffering catastrophic failure the problem being that we don't know who will suffer, or which individual exposure event will cause the failure to take place.

Given the lack of hard research info on impulse noise it is hard to define exactly how much damage you will see if exposed to a 140dB(C) moderated centrefire rifle shot. The US Army insist on hearing protection for staff exposed to impulse noise of 140dB(P) or greater (which is impulse noise) and require double hearing protection (plugs and muffs) for staff exposed to 165dB(P). This equates neatly to a moderated and unmoderated 308W shot.

As the military have done most research in this area and as they are not noted for extreme concern about the welfare of their grunts you can take this whatever way you want. The evidence seems fairly clear - if you are exposed to moderated rifle shots without hearing protection then some people will suffer hearing loss and over time hearing loss is almost a certainty. If you are exposed to unmoderated rifle shots without hearing protection then hearing loss is certain and instant and significant damage is possible even from one shot.

At this point it is up to you to decide if you need hearing protection when using a moderator but the (limited) science is pretty positive that you are doing damage without hearing protection when using a moderated rifle.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

always have at least one ear plug (the rubber kind with a metal insert) in my pocket.
    takes seconds to slip one in my left ear, if I can I will slip both in but left (as a RH shooter) is more important IMO

I find the most intrusive noise is the reverb from buildings or tree
    still get a sting in the ear from a single shot with a moderator and

Never when out stalking but on the rifle range yes and also when out with the shotgun