Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: feild trails for tracking dogs

feild trails for tracking dogs

I will be running a dogs for deer weekend this coming September as I have for the last three years, the first day is for training and the second day for track trail testing a bit like field trails for tracking dogs.

The question I have to all is what do you think these trails should be like to make them most like a real life trail for UK stalkers? Bearing in mind we are so different in our attitudes to our continental friends.

In the past we have had a 600 meter with two turns that is three hours old using less than 50mm of blood and another that is 20 hours old with only blood at the shot point.

Tony

This could be interesting Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by cookingfat View Post
    In the past we have had a 600 meter with two turns that is three hours old using less than 50mm of blood and another that is 20 hours old with only blood at the shot point.

Is that hard? I've never had my pointer on a track laid with scent shoes (I've got a pair coming so could test it soon), but she would follow your three hour old track (if its laid the way I've been doing it, by dragging a foot square of skin behind me with no blood anywhere) with ease and very little training. If you're promoting a prize or accolade, then I'd expect the standard to be so high that most dogs (maybe about 70-90%?) will fail it.

That's all if I can come and play with my wire, if you're only talking about scent hounds, then I don't care what you do!

Hi all.
    Good idea Tony. Oh and Shabz, if you don't like the heat, then stay out of the kitchen ?.
    TO STRIVE, TO SEEK, TO FIND. AND NEVER TO YIELD.

you would be surprised Shabz, most that do the trails get round with maybe a second or third and a few get a first.

Quote Originally Posted by widu View Post
    Oh and Shabz, if you don't like the heat, then stay out of the kitchen ?.
    I like the heat grand bud, just worried about being excluded!

Quote Originally Posted by cookingfat View Post
    I will be running a dogs for deer weekend this coming September as I have for the last three years, the first day is for training and the second day for track trail testing a bit like field trails for tracking dogs.

The question I have to all is what do you think these trails should be like to make them most like a real life trail for UK stalkers? Bearing in mind we are so different in our attitudes to our continental friends.

Tony
    How would you go about laying the trails for use in trials though. Surely to make it fair you'd need a separate trail for each dog to avoid contaminating the trail with handler and previous dog scent. And then then you'd get the old, "his trail was easier than mine" nonsense. Just a thought.
    Very interested though.

Cheers. Matt.

Good idea Tony keep us posted about its development.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5/284matt View Post
    How would you go about laying the trails for use in trials though. Surely to make it fair you'd need a separate trail for each dog to avoid contaminating the trail with handler and previous dog scent. And then then you'd get the old, "his trail was easier than mine" nonsense. Just a thought.
    Very interested though.

Cheers. Matt.
    Matt
    your right we lay a separate trail for each dog and done with two judges and marked in such away so only they know where the trail goes, then they both will follow dog and handler around marking as they go.

BMH Society of GB will be at Catton ask them