Thread: Radio Scotland "Out of Doors"

Radio Scotland "Out of Doors"

Interview yesterday morning with Prof John Milne (DCS Chair).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00m6dgr

Starts 8mins in.

Thought?

Dave

Well I listened to it and to me several things became apparent.

Firstly this can only have been orchestrated in response to the bashing it has received from the stalking community.

Deer welfare, it would appear by this that it means deer must be shot correctly by properly trained people who have the necessary certificate to prove they know what they are doing. Public welfare it seems would all be to do with the public being able to rest easy secure in the knowledge that people with "high calibre rifles" know to shoot against a safe background etc.

It would appear, according to the programme, that deer are worth 105 million pounds per year to the economy but this has to be balanced against natural habitat and the like. Trees got a mention, but not native woodland forest or the like, just trees, enter deer management groups. At present these are voluntary but the bill would make them mandatory and "Government Agencies" would ensure that they have a plan for the deer and they stick to it.

Then comes the certificate, he mentioned that there are already certificates in place, voluntary, and are held by a percentage of stalkers, 60% was the figure he quoted. It almost appeared from the way he was talking that if you already possessed a certificate you would meet the criteria. He did not say whether level 1 or 2 but, he covered a few points including food hygiene and the gralloch so I am guessing at level 2. There is no need to worry though as he did say the course would take half a day and not be costly!

Another smoke and mirror interview, I never heard any mention of the proposed changes to the deer seasons and the effects of that on deer, there was talk of the iconic Red and Roe deer but no mention of the plans to decimate them. Sika and Fallow never got a mention! Another thought, if you go the way of attaining the DCS certificate and getting on the register to stalk in Scotland, will the Forestry Commission accept this as a level 2 equivalent for the purposes of granting a lease? It seems that a half day, not costly test, that will only involve the shooting of one deer, will do for the register to stalk.

Call me cynical but it does have all the hallmarks of a job for the boys money making exercise, which will be paid for by the taxpayer. Because once these "recommendations" become law then the responsibility, read cost, of implementing them becomes the Government's. Which means that a Government Agency the DCS will be tasked to deal with it, all because of a Bill based on the recommendations of a Government Agency the DCS.

I do not doubt that there are good and practical proposals within the Bill, but personally I think the part relating to deer has not been thought through, and poorly presented at best. At worst it is a piece of work designed to fool those it is being presented to and to ensure the future well being of those that composed it.

John

radio prog (dcs)

I have just had a listen to this, starts at 08.34 minutes in & ends at 16.23, I was a little worried that this proffessor guy when the oportunity arose to mention that there is already a competency scheme in place (DSC L1/L2), he did not, what he did try to get across to listeners was "60% of deer shooting is done by people who only have a F.A.C.!", I suggests all on here who can use the link , do so, I'ts an eye opener!, maybe someone a little more articulate than I should have a reply to this interview & try to redress the balance! Jay was I hearing incorrectly?

radio prog

No, I was'nt mistaken, just listened again, also the better half listened too, this guy states that 60% don't have any qualifications excepting a F.A.C.

I must be missing something here as all I am getting is hill walkers!

rdio prog

You need to move your cursor on to the progress bar & drag it along to 7 minutes plus to catch the interview in question, Steve.

No,

caving, pink footed geese, loch leven

nowt of interest

radio prog

Jingzy, the link is genuine, you must be doing summat wrong?, keep trying to get into this, its important and everyone should try to listen to it!

Sorry all i got was caving and other stuff moved on in 5 min increments and never got anything about the dcs. Still it is maybe time to put this to bed for a while and let the powers that be continue with the political process.
    i WAS AT A MEETING ON WENSDAY AND ALL IS NOT CLEAR FOR THEM AND FOR US. WE WERE TOLD DMQ AND ALL OTHER TESTS THAT MEET CURRENT EDUCATION STANDARDS WOULD BE INCLUDED AND THERE WILL PROBABLY BE GRANDFARTHER RIGHTS FOR STALKERS WHO HAVE STALKED FOR YEARS EVEN IF THEY HAVNT DONE SVQ ST HUBERT DMQ2 BUT IT WAS CLEAR THAT THERE MIGHT ONLY BE A NEED TO STALK AND SHOOT ONE DEER TO GET ON THE LIST.

Looks like it has been edited. The home page for Out of Doors says that the program is 90 minutes long but only 55mins are available on the ii player thingy.