Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: barrel screw cut

barrel screw cut

finally at last yesterday i phoned a chap who came highly recomended to me about getting him to sort my barrel on my .308 so i could get my new t8 which i have had since feb fitted.whilst speaking on the phone he asked if i had much on yesterday and i hadnt so off i went.got there and he soon had it in pieces and on his lathe,job done he also pulled the bolt into bits polished it all up and greased it inside,and then i went on to the range and 10 bullets later bob on.his name is mike norris near newport shropshire,top guy who really knows his stuff.very interesting to talk with.one thing he did say that every time you have shot a rifle with a sound mod on was to clean it every time,the gasses which are left in the barrel are very corrosive,and never store the rifle with the mod left on it allways take it off and fire wd40 through it and let it drain.there was a sako barrel in there and a lad had had a mod on it for 7 weeks and it was well and truly f$*k"d because he had done the very same. i had never met mike before but he made me very welcome and i had a very enjoyable afternoon.thanks mike

Tika, it's good to hear when someone provides a good service, all too often we only hear the complaints. Just as a matter of interest, is this guy a gunsmith and roughly what did he charge? (if you don't mind saying)
    Cheers, Pete.

yes he is a riflesmith,he builds rifles aswell.he charged me 90 that includes your service.

Good to hear about your gunsmith. As I'm not too far away from Newport, can you PM me his details please for future reference?

Agree on both points re mod:

Give the T8 a blast of WD 40 after shooting (seem to recall it says that on the leaflet I got with the mod when it was new), and was confirmed be a very experienced professional stalker I met in Scotland - the WD40 neutralises the very corrosive gases.

My deer rifle has a stainless barrel, and I soon found out that if I leave the mod on, I get corrosion in the threads very rapidly, due to the old 'dissimilar metals in contact = corrosion' syndrome - even applies on stainless!

will do mate when i get home.

I too can really recommend Mike Norris. He's sorting out a lightweight A-Tec mod weighing afraction of the 2 lb weight T8 for my Tikka T3 243. Cheers K

screw cutting

hi i brought my rifle from norfolk sporting gun, they charged me 35 pounds to screw cut the barrel

Sorry to put a downer on your post but for 90.0 I would expect nothing less than top service and a breakfast thrown in
    You only went there for threading, the rest he chose to do and his advice is common sense, so it sounds as if he needed a quick bit of ready cash which tied in nicely with you wanting a quick job.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Sorry to put a downer on your post but for 90.0 I would expect nothing less than top service and a breakfast thrown in
    You only went there for threading, the rest he chose to do and his advice is common sense, so it sounds as if he needed a quick bit of ready cash which tied in nicely with you wanting a quick job.
    90 is the going rate up here!! and you will wait three weeks for the job done so 90 for a good job while you wait is very reasonable....

Quality workmanship never comes cheap !!!