Spent XX Looking At A XXXX Thinking It Was A Deer

AllThingsShooting

Was out the other night in a high seat and after glassing the area, finally spotted something that I was convinced was the corner of a Fallows Palmation behind a bush!

I must of spent at least 30 minutes looking at this thing, each time being convinced than it had moved...

As the night drew to an end and still certain that it was a fallow sitting down. I stalked in on the "Palmation" only to find it was a tree tube that had been damaged and opened out! What a plonker...

What humorous objects have you stalked thinking it was a deer???

I have stalked 'log deer' 'stump deer' and 'clump of bracken deer' over the years. My pal once stalked a set of rolls that he thought were Fallow at last light.
Good to laugh at ourselves occasionally.

Was out the other night in a high seat and after glassing the area, finally spotted something that I was convinced was the corner of a Fallows Palmation behind a bush!

I must of spent at least 30 minutes looking at this thing, each time being convinced than it had moved...

As the night drew to an end and still certain that it was a fallow sitting down. I stalked in on the "Palmation" only to find it was a tree tube that had been damaged and opened out! What a plonker...

What humorous objects have you stalked thinking it was a deer???

The amount of times I have to remind you they are sheep and not fallow !

stalked a herd of peat hags from about 1/2mile away:doh: also spent 30mins watching what we thought was an otter as it kept moving, but it was infact just a stone:oops:

both in the same week as well

I am always amazed how bracken at last light turn into deer and how at first light deer turn into bracken.

I have been caught out many a time thankfully though I have never shot at an inanimate object thinking it was a deer ( or anything else which I was intending to shoot ).

​TJ

brother shot a "thistle rabbit" once.....does that count?

stalked a "rabbit" with night vision monocular only to find it was a lucozade bottle with a very reflective "eye"

brother shot a "thistle rabbit" once.....does that count? stalked a "rabbit" with night vision monocular only to find it was a lucozade bottle with a very reflective "eye"

The thistle rabbit has also been shot by both my brother and I on separate occasions whilst out lamping. It's only when it folds in half to the last shot that we agree it isn't a rabbit (not the fact we just unloaded the magazine at it and it hadn't moved an inch!)

brother shot a "thistle rabbit" once.....does that count?

stalked a "rabbit" with night vision monocular only to find it was a lucozade bottle with a very reflective "eye"

Thank god for that I thought it was just me. A few years ago when I thought my eyesight was perfectly acceptable I shot a "molehill" rabbit.I finally accepted I needed glasses when I found it difficult to differentiate between partridges and pheasant poults getting up on a walked up partridge day in September
Geordie

I have to admit that I have stalked the same dead tree twice, I spotted what looked like a old 8 pt stag from my kitchen window 1/2 a mile up the hill on the side of a burn, stalked up the burn slowly and carefully to find the stag had gone!! had a good look around, no sign of the stag. Two weeks later (in the rut) spotted some hinds in the same place and saw the "stag" stalked up the burn again and found a small group of hinds sunning themselves and no stag, I sat and watched for hours thinking the stag must be around somewhere. It eventually occured to me when a hind walked under the dead tree!!!! needless to say the tree has had a major trim since then.

There's a certain level of twilight that makes everything grow ears and antlers isn't there! Even when you are sitting there looking at an object for an hour, when the light gets to a certain level suddenly things in the background can leap forward and things merge together and change the whole overall shape.

The worst is when you are locked onto 'something' in the distance through the binos but just can't work out what it is... then you lower the binos and there is a deer standing right in front of you trying to work out what you are looking at :hind: :lol:

a fallow spiker ! that turned out to be a two reed deer bush on a river bank :doh: bugger never moved god my feild craft was good than morning :rofl:

Forty gallon oil drum lying on its side out on the hill had been there for years and had weathered to the colour of a deer , had looked at it many times over the years but eventually got used to it and ignored it, would wait to see if clients would spot it, many would alert me to this deer.

Walking out the glen one morning the client " theres a beast probably a stag its on its own" no its an oil drum I replied smugly, silence for ten seconds, the client " that oil drum" yes " its just got up and run off":doh:

When lamping is said to my pal there was a fox
he said its the cat from the Hall
i said no its a fox
i said no its a fox
i said ok have it your way
he said **** it is a fox !!!!***!!!!!

I try to remind him as often as i can

Back