Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zeroing range days or police notified!

Zeroing range days or police notified!

I have a question......

My friend has joined a rifle club here at home that holds range days.

The club has stated that regional legislation states he must attend range days and if not his information will be forwarded by the very club he has paid membership too for the past x number of years, to the Firearms and Explosives Branch.

I thought zeroing could be done by the licencee on grounds suitable, with a backstop of at least 10m high.

Now this makes me think that even though I have 5 years experience serving with the UN firing .50cal brownings and 7.62 Accuracy Internationals from morning to night, do I have attend range days sufficient to satisfy my FEO on my FAC renewal (not for ages yet) that I have officially zeroed my rifle, or does my own zeroing and target practice on lands upon which I stalk not suffice?

Why does owning a rifle feel that you always have to be looking over your shoulder and that common sense never prevails!

I can't even have a heated debate with a neighbour unless as I may be deemed mentally unfit! All I want to do is stalk safely, it would be in my best interest to always have my rifle zeroed, which I can relax and do on my own permitted grounds, without having to attend a range day.

Sounds to me like you are listening to a lot of people, and getting a whole lot of stuff mixed up.

It is pretty much impossible to work out the chain of your post but, I suspect, that what your friend's club have told him is that the police expect a rifle to be used on a number of occasions over a year and they contact clubs for this information. I'll guess your mate has his rifle on for target shooting on the basis that he is a club member. If he isn't using his rifle then his club have to report to the police "Bob did not attend any range days in the past year" and, if he is not using his rifle elsewhere they may then ask what his "good reason" is.

​If your paranoia is starting to become a serious problem try wearing a tinfoil hat like I do, it helps a lot.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Blog Entries
    Hi Ronan

If you are a member of a Club and you are using this as your "Good Reason" then you are expected to actually attend the club an shoot once in a while. Most clubs get tetchy if you haven't been for a year.

So its not about experience or anything its about satisfying your FEO that you have good reason.

I found this. "The attendance register should be kept for all shooting members of the club, although its principal use will be in relation to those members who hold firearm certificates. This is to comply with Lord Cullen's recommendations that shooters should not have firearms on their certificates which are not used regularly. For this reason it will be necessary to record, in the register, the description of the firearms used, as given in the members firearm certificate. All visiting shooters should also be logged in the same way. In the case of competition shoots between clubs, the responsibility for recording the attendance of a team member will lie with the club that the shooter represents. In the case of open competitions, the organising club will record details of competitors. Clubs should retain their attendance records for a minimum of
    six (6) years. The police should be informed within one month of the cessation of any club membership. Notifying the police when a firearm certificate holder's membership has ceased, or when such a member has not shot with the club for a period of twelve (12) months, will allow the police to check whether the individual is still using his/her firearms regularly at another club or approved range. The period of twelve (12) months should be calculated separately for each individual member."

If you are not a member of a club and you have a rifle for Stalking, Vermin control etc. then you don't have this problem. However the Police will tally how much ammo you have bought during your 5 years and query if you are not using it. Certainly reducing your holding and possibly indicating that your Stalking is no longer Good Reason if you haven't shot for a number of years.
    Last edited by NorthDorset; 05-04-2013 at 14:02.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

I will certainly shed alot more light on the issue......

His rifle is for deer which he has some fantastic ground for. He tried to persude me to join the rifle club but I'm already with a wildfowling club and that costs me a kidney each year, but he is only in the rifle club as he became a member upon gaining his DSC1 cert as he wanted to mingle with fellow shooters.

He felt the commitment to attend range days could be used on stalking days and while on the ground, zero in on routinely to ensure his rifle was as safe and efficient as possible. When he went to cancel he was politely told his information was to be forwarded to the F.E.B. by the very club he once paid membership too. I think that is surely a bit much!

From what I understand Clubs have to notify the Police by law if you don't attend a certain number of occasions per year, this seems to be variable in number from club to club?

I changed Clubs recently and 7 yrs range experience with my previous club, have DSC1 and open tickets on all guns although documented counted for nothing, I had to do 3 months probation to include 3 specified training sessions and undertake a written exam at the end and that was just to shoot up to rimfire.
    The High Velocity use required a further shooting test of 10 rounds grouping.

Of course none of this applies if you have land and don't have club membership.

Rules is Rules! I just sucked it up the same as the other Probationers.

​Forgot to add, we all had to do a stand up short presentation at a committee meeting too.
    Last edited by old man; 05-04-2013 at 14:15.

Blog Entries
    Clubs following the guidelines. He has left therefore Membership can no longer be his good reason. They must inform the FLO. If he is a stalker with a place to shoot etc and has another Good Reason then he will be fine. I was a stalker for 15 years before I joined a club. Now at my next renewal my first referee has to be the Club Secretary.

Even now I don't own a gun not conditioned for Deer, Fox, Vermin and Humane Despatch.

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old man View Post
    From what I understand Clubs have to notify the Police by law if you don't attend a certain number of occasions per year, this seems to be variable in number from club to club?

I changed Clubs recently and 7 yrs range experience with my previous club, have DSC1 and open tickets on all guns although documented counted for nothing, I had to do 3 months probation to include 3 specified training sessions and undertake a written exam at the end and that was just to shoot up to rimfire.
    The High Velocity use required a further shooting test of 10 rounds grouping.

Of course none of this applies if you have land and don't have club membership.

Rules is Rules! I just sucked it up the same as the other Probationers.

​Forgot to add, we all had to do a stand up short presentation at a committee meeting too.
    If you didn't hold the FAC you would be 6 Months as a probationer.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthDorset View Post
    If you didn't hold the FAC you would be 6 Months as a probationer.
    Actually the minimum period is only 3 months for H.O. approved clubs but many like the one I belong to have stuck to 6 months regardless of occupation or FAC ownership.

People don't really appreciate all the rules and regulations a H.O. approved club must adhere to, and the club is audited each year to ensure that they are sticking to those rules such as notifying the chief constable if someone has failed to attend in the last 12 months or if any one ceases to be a member and the reason why.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Blog Entries
    6 Months is the norm. Might be waived under exceptional circumstances to 3 as per HO Guidance but why set a precedent that will put others noses out of joint? Club would have to justify anything that went wrong.

ITS FRIDAY, its ***Sunny*** and I have my clubs award dinner tonight (And I won stuff during the year so I pick up a prize!) I never win anything and now look, I'm an athlete!! I figure if the chubby American who won the skeet at the Olympics can get away with it then why can I?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	868343-14655826-640-360.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	26687

I have found being a club shooter really suits me. I shift more lead now a week than I did in a year. Serious trigger time has improved me and where I was always a 1 shot 1 kill kind of guy I now find my inner cowboy is emerging.

Yippeekiee!

I digress.......
    Last edited by NorthDorset; 05-04-2013 at 15:27.

sorry to rain on this

frequency of use does not need to be provided for "good reason"
    I held a firearm with a ammo allowance of 20 buy and 40 hold and that lasted me a couple of years!!

if I want to shoot one deer a year it does not make my right of application any less valid than a pro stalker slotting 300 deer per year.

if I have been particulalry busy and not able to get down the range plinking it does not give the FEO the Police or the club any right to take away my membership or my rifles!!
    just because a range whore might loose off 1000's of rounds doesnt mean he has more "good reason"

the police may want to see proof of use but there is no precedent for round counting as justification of "need" or "good reason"

I would be intrigued by what "regional legislation" is basically forcing your friend to shoot!
    I suspect what it will be is if club spaces are at a premium and oversubscribed and "your friend" has a slot but are not using it they would prefer people who are more regular.