Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I picked up the BSA 30-06 tday!

I picked up the BSA 30-06 tday!

Hi chaps,
    I picked up the BSA Hunter 30-06 from the RFD today and I'm well chuffed!! Thanks a million to Sikadog!

This is a pic just after getting it and I'll post some more when I get a bit more time at home.

I couldn't resist a shot so nipped to my perm and let a round go and crikey it don't half make a loud bang!! And being a nice light rifle kicks a wee bit too!!

Only rounds the rfd had were Hornady 150gr ballistic tip so bought a box to get accustomed to it. If it groups well are these a recognised round for all deer types? Ammo types is something more I need to learn about and I guess it depends what type of deer you're shooting??

Anyone know much about the rifle model itself?
    What's the best way to clean the bolt up as I was going to give it a once over from the off? I like to familiarise meself with my rifles as soon as I get them.
    When I get it screwcut would it be best to take off the front sight and shorten the barrel? Or would this affect accuracy? It does seem a shame to change it coz I quite like it as it is!

What do you think?

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

very nice

​get those rings on eBay and pay for half the rifle!!

Well done and all credit to the SD donor

A quick search on SD will show ( as usual ) a plethora of cleaning approaches - occasionally diametrically opposed - have a look and decide what may appeal to you. As in most things people aren't generally wholly wrong or right.

I dont wish to antagonise any members or confuse things - hence the suggestion above. But if the conclusion rhymes with Sore Bnake.... Any queries, please don't hesitate to drop me a PM.

Enjoy!

Hornady's are probably SSTs or maybe Interbond. I like Hornady for the most part and use 308 150 grain SST on Reds frequently. The key will be not so much what others recommend, but what your rifle likes best. Once you latch onto that, most good mid range factory loads will do most things you'll ever reasonably ask of them in 30-06. There is a lot to gain by picking well and sticking with that choice so you become thoroughly familiar with the performance.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Yes, I got a sore bnake stuck in in my 243. I could only get it out by tying the protruding end around a vice and walking backwards. I'm sticking to the traditional method of rods. Good luck. Right, I'm off for a buck.

DIdn't I give you a pair of those ;-) LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    very nice

​get those rings on eBay and pay for half the rifle!!

Show the picture to Brithunter and settle down for the history lecture

​The 30-06 is a great versatile caliber.

After a bit of a search I'm a bit miffed Brit wasn't the 1st to reply tbh!! I think he's getting lazy or he's in the pub!!

The gun shop gave it a bit of a clean before I picked it up bless em, I was wondering more about the bolt tbh as the bore is pretty clean. Although I do need to sort meself a proper cleaning kit rather than the snakes I just pull through the rimmies and shottie!!

Cheers

Stratts

Quote Originally Posted by pietasvenatores View Post
    DIdn't I give you a pair of those ;-) LOL

No! You are not that generous! Those look like old school Parker hales in 1"
    fetch 50-60 with appropriate marketing!

hadn't realised the rifle was a donation
    even sweeter!

best way to clean the bolt is completely strip it IMO
    you tube is your friends for a video "how to"

Dont get it cut! Tragedy!

learn to love the boom!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    No! You are not that generous! Those look like old school Parker hales in 1"
    fetch 50-60 with appropriate marketing!

hadn't realised the rifle was a donation
    even sweeter!

best way to clean the bolt is completely strip it IMO
    you tube is your friends for a video "how to"

Dont get it cut! Tragedy!

learn to love the boom
    !
    That's what I was thinking mate I might have to do a poll!! Don't want to spoil the rifle and the balance but my head says I'd benefit from a mod,

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    That's what I was thinking mate I might have to do a poll!! Don't want to spoil the rifle and the balance but my head says I'd benefit from a mod,Cheers
    There are more benifits from having a mod than not. Stratts Ive shot rifles for over 25 years and have only used mods for the last 7 years. I now wouldnt be with out 1. But its a decision you and only you can make.Nutty