Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sloppy Bolt Travel on Howa Rifles

Sloppy Bolt Travel on Howa Rifles

I am currently in the market for a new .243 and am looking at a Howa 1500, Browning A Bolt or Tikka T3.

After talking to a gamekeeper friend in Scotland I have been told that a lot of people have trouble with wear on the bolt of Howa Rifles. Has anyone had any problems with this or heard of this? He described it as a sloppy bolt travel after a few hundred rounds.

Does anyone have any views on which of the above would be the best rifle for a bit of general stalking, foxing and range work?

The Howa is obviously a bit cheaper than the other two, but I would rather spend a bit more if it means a better all round rifle!

Just get the Tikka mate, you won't regret it!
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Try to handle all 3 and decide which feels best to you.

Each has plus, minus and foilble points - as do well all!

In terms of sloppy bolts - regardless of make - so long as it isnt inducing binding/ misfeeds, that bit that really matters is how well it locks up. In respect of Howa, our course model goes through several years average use every few months - no problems in this regard as yet. Initially coated it with Sentry Smooth Kote as part of product tests which may have skewed things - but SK certainly worked!

We all have favourites and like most others I do get fed up with 'shades of grey', but a rifle remains a very personal thing - by all means note the various views ( and oh boy they will be VARIOUS! ), but go with what feels comfortable to you.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

More smoke & mirrors!, nothing wrong with Howa's.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

get a tikka T3 you wont be dissapointed, i have three, fantastic rifle for the money

Go to a dealer who has examples of all the rifles you are considering and don't dismiss his quality 2nd hand rack. Pick them up,mount them, cycle them, work the bolts and test the magazines. Pick whatever feels right for you and ignore whatever everyone else thinks.

​personally speaking, I had one of the first Howard rifles in 308, fed it over 10,000 rounds, 2 barrels and never had a problem.

I have a howa in 204 and a tikka in 223 ss the howa is a very god all rounder for the price but if you have the money for a tikka then go for it you won't regret it! they a silky smooth

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku6000 View Post
    After talking to a gamekeeper friend in Scotland I have been told that a lot of people have trouble with wear on the bolt of Howa Rifles. Has anyone had any problems with this or heard of this? He described it as a sloppy bolt travel after a few hundred rounds.
    With due respect your gamekeeper mate hasn’t got a fecking clue. The jap's have a history of making steel second to no one. like Scotsgun I had one of the first Howas imported, these came into the UK in 1997. I have had all three makes of rifle you mention and all will get the job done and last a life time. I am not a big fan of the T3, it was a cost engineering job by Beretta when they brought Tikka because the 595/695 was too good and too close the Sako 75 which Beretta also owned, they had to make a bigger gap between the premier brand 75 and the cheap Tikka. That said although cheapened in places the T3 is a good accurate rifle and light to carry.

As said go and try all three rifles any of them will serve you well.

ATB

Tahr

Cheers all! My gamekeeper friend was simply passing on what he had heard! He shoots a Steyr SSG which is another story! I have handled all three and my thoughts on the Tikka and the Howa were they felt solid, especially the T3 Varmint. The A bolt felt more like a toy with a cheap plastic stock. Looking at the price of a Howa and a Tikka I reckon the 200 odd extra for the T3 would be better added to my scope budget!

On a seperate note do .243 rifles with a 1-10" twist stabalise 100 grain bullets?