Fox and Rabbit lamping

243fallow

Evening all i was just wondering how many people use a quad bike for their nightime vermin work ???? I had a heated discussion with a mate to day who said they are a complete waste of time and would rather try and get round 2000 acres on foot, i have always used a quad and found it to be brilliant for foxing and rabbiting your thoughts please gentlemen:cool:

Quad to start with. If they start to get a bit lamp shy I go on foot. Sometimes there that used to the farmer on the quad it never bothers them.

i always go on foot, but i only cover 300 acres and i find it easyer on foot as i normally lamp with a .22 rimfire. But its what ever works best for you and the land owner that matters really
atb
simon

Usually rabbiting with .22 on foot, but would like to give it a go on the quad, and foxes too now I've got the .243 - could easily take both rifles with me on the quad.
Rabbits on my ground aren't bothered by the quad at all.

Would be interested to see pics of how some of you chaps have set up quad for shooting off? I was thinking of making a frame to bolt on the front rack to give me a stable shooting rest. Not sure whether just to have a padded rail at the right hight to brace wrist / elbow against, or whether to have a sort of small platform so i can use the rifle on bipod. Also, what about lamp? Scope mounted or mounted on the bike or on the frame I intend to make? How much can be done just using the bike headlights?

I have been shooting rabbits off the quad for years and at one point was taking around 400-500 a week. So I had my quad just set for rabbiting. On the front a box that will hold 50 rabbits. It's padded with pipe lagging around the edge and v cut out to hold the gun facing forwards ,on the face of the box toward me a gun rack and a small box for bullets and spare mag. Also a drinks holder. On the back of rails I had a 2 gun case. (.22 and 243). I use a light force direct to battery to spot the a small gun mounted with pressure pad to shoot. A litter picker is also helpful so my back doesn't fall to bits. Small trailer to follow that carries 300 flat to the top. Can't go wrong with that set up in my eyes. Fish filleting knife is also the best for slitting lots of rabbits. Head torch is a must.

Usually rabbiting with .22 on foot, but would like to give it a go on the quad, and foxes too now I've got the .243 - could easily take both rifles with me on the quad.
Rabbits you know it on my ground aren't bothered by the quad at all.

Would be interested to see pics of how some of you chaps have set up quad for shooting off? I was thinking of making a frame to bolt on the front rack to give me a stable shooting rest. Not sure whether just to have a padded rail at the right hight to brace wrist / elbow against, or whether to have a sort of small platform so i can use the rifle on bipod. Also, what about lamp? Scope mounted or mounted on the bike or on the frame I intend to make? How much can be done just using the bike headlights?
We either go rabbiting or foxing not both at the same time that's when rifles get knocked and cable get wrapped round barrels and before you know it your in a mess !
​Norma

I usually do one or the other ive just got in from tonights rabbitng and have covered 1500 acres how the hell could you do that on foot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We either go rabbiting or foxing not both at the same time that's when rifles get knocked and cable get wrapped round barrels and before you know it your in a mess !
​Norma

Back