Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: plastic bullets

plastic bullets

OK im a newbie what are these plastic copper coted bullets that ive herd about . is this true or some one takeing the mick .

Maybe you are thinking of ballistic tip bullets that have a polymer tip, copper case and lead core?

well there's a who range of polymer tipped bullets because that stops the point being damaged and so the bullet flies better but what does the business is the lead core and jacket combo or with mono metal bullets the single metal mass itself.

again hear say but was told that these [plastic] bullets disintergrate /shatter on hitting any hard object

I can see a use for such if you own a .17HMR!

Back in the good old days there was a round called the glaser safety slug I think which was some sort of compressed metal powder or shot set in plastic, designed to disintegrate on a hard surface to minimise ricochet, I had some in 357 mag for my 686 s&w , they didn't shoot that well as I remember ?

I'm going to google them now !

Google 'frangible ammo' turns out there is loads , the ruag stuff is polymer coated copper shot type stuff and you can still get glaser safety slugs !

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    Google 'frangible ammo' turns out there is loads , the ruag stuff is polymer coated copper shot type stuff and you can still get glaser safety slugs !
    Is there much call for Glaser safety slugs round Newmarket??!!

There is such a bullet. I met the designer a the SHOT show in Vegas last January. I believe the man is Belgian. His bullets are a compressed polymer that has about 1/3 the weight of lead. His operation, if this is indeed the bullet you are talking about, is small. He makes both jacketed pistol bullets and some rifle bullets with or without a copper shell. The company I consult for occasionally is considering a project using this man's bullets and in the process, I am supposed to receive a sample of .224" bullets in the configuration of the 55 grain design. I haven't checked in to see how it's going but I did indicate I'd like them for prairiedog season....~Muir