Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First attempt at skull prep

First attempt at skull prep

Back in Jan with a thick covering of snow on the ground, I went for a stalk with Prometheus. I was lucky enough to connect with a good sized Mutjac buck and this weekend I finally got round to cleaning him up. It's a shame about the left enter tip but he's my best head to date. Thanks for a great mornings stalk Simon.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	336.5 KB 
ID:	26738
    Dom

Muntie head

Hi Dom

Very nice head, and finished well

I have a couple of Muntie heads in the freezer awaiting cleaning

Just might get em out and have a go, now I've seen how good yours have come up

( I have a tendency to over cook - probably why there still in freezer)

how long did you cook for, did you skin right off and remove back skull before boiling.?

Well done cracking bit of work

​phil

Hi Phil
    thanks for the comments. Back of scull was removed before boiling but will try and remove brain without cutting next time. I boiled it for about 35 mins, but he's quite old and I did keep testing it during boiling. I did remove as much skin and flesh as I could before boiling and then used 35% peroxide.
    Dom

Quote Originally Posted by Cry Havoc View Post
    Hi Philthanks for the comments. Back of scull was removed before boiling but will try and remove brain without cutting next time. I boiled it for about 35 mins, but he's quite old and I did keep testing it during boiling. I did remove as much skin and flesh as I could before boiling and then used 35% peroxide.Dom
    Well done great job and above provides good advice,Regards,Glendine.

Fantastic effort, looks nice, just have to find a shield now!
    "Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it." Agatha Christie

Quote Originally Posted by Southdowns_stalking View Post
    Fantastic effort, looks nice, just have to find a shield now!
    I saw a really nice shield at a friends house. It was made from birch timber cut at an angle with the barks still attached with an oil finsh it looked great.Glendine.

I have bought shields from 6.5/284matt off this site can not fault them for quality and price.Wf1

Quote Originally Posted by wildfowler1 View Post
    I have bought shields from 6.5/284matt off this site can not fault them for quality and price.Wf1
    Hi WF1
    Matt has one ready for me, I have asked for one of his long nosed Roe shields. I think the size will be ok.
    Dom

Quote Originally Posted by Glendine View Post
    Well done great job and above provides good advice,Regards,Glendine.
    Thanks for the comments.
    ​Dom

Hi Dom
    I also have one coming for a munti skull. I tried it on the last shield I bought and it was ok for size.If you are going to
    put an engraved plate on it, make sure you put the skull high enough up the shield so that it fits right, as the shields are narrow, or place the skull low down and the plate will easily fit at the top.Wf1