lawrence precision

Stevie/P

just had my rifle screwcut and re crown by lawrence precision and one of simon's moderators. happy our what.

Nice one!

​How was the rifle grouping before the crown and mod?

How much of an improvement have you seen?

QUOTE=danpd;559536]I think it's around £150 without proofing and £600 for the mod.[/
:scared:blimey

To be fair to Lawrence Precision they do offer a lifetime guarantee on their Titanium mods, of course there are loads of others around at third of the price but if you are firing a lot of shots then you have to bear in mind corrosion and gas cutting issues and make an informed decision. atb Tim

just had my rifle screwcut and re crown by lawrence precision and one of simon's moderators. happy our what.

the moderator didn't put that group on the paper buddy, you no longer being afraid to pull the trigger did. It's nice that you had the dosh to splurge on a nice mod and you feel confident. good for you,...and good for your hearing :)

Nothing fair about £150 for screw cutting that doesn't include proofing!
If your only criteria in life is the price then sure, it's probably not for you. Its like moaning that Purdeys are out of your price range.

Simons a thread perfectionist and the equipment he uses is the best. A mod he has made going onto a thread he has cut feels like a bearing, it's unreal.

If you can find a cheaper option good enough for you then thats fine of course but it's like everything in life, if you want perfection then put your hand in your pocket.

Buy once, buy right.

you can't put a price on a clean kill we must have the upmost respect for our quarry we owe it to the sport.

A clean kill is no cleaner for its having cost more to achieve.

I'm sure Alex is right about the standard of LP's work, and he's certainly right about Purdeys and price-ranges: I don't moan about not being able to afford Purdeys, and I don't think anyone would think badly of me for not owning guns costing more than my house any more than they would criticise me for having my rifle competently screw-cut for £50 and using a £200 moderator.

The thread doesn't need to feel like a bearing - it just needs to keep the mod true and screwed-on during a day out.

Buy once, buy right is a good principle, but to extrapolate from that the you need to spend £750 for screw-cut and mod perhaps doesn't fit easily with the circumstances of all of us.

I collected my Lawrence Nexus compact last week for my new R8 Pro Success leather. Yes, they do cost a lot but are nevertheless value for money in terms of materials and quality and only 330gms for a lifetime moderator. As csl says, screwing one on is like a bearing rather than a thread. Also mine will be used on 243 and 6.5x55 so when divided by two not a lot of difference in price. That's my justification anyway! Simon's also well advanced in developing a titanium actioned rifle - brilliant engineering and as smooth as silk. But that would really require a lottery win!

If your only criteria in life is the price then sure, it's probably not for you. Its like moaning that Purdeys are out of your price range.

Simons a thread perfectionist and the equipment he uses is the best. A mod he has made going onto a thread he has cut feels like a bearing, it's unreal.

If you can find a cheaper option good enough for you then thats fine of course but it's like everything in life, if you want perfection then put your hand in your pocket.

Buy once, buy right.

I use exactly the same equipment as Simon, I dial in the bore to .0001-.0002, and use certified thread micrometers and ring gauges. All standard muzzle threads held to a max class 2a tolerance, and If I cut the moderator thread also then it's a max class 3a fit.

7767810984_08805c731b_c.jpg

8627385320_7a4af7048e_c.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
8627384008_dc09c8eb79_c.jpg

[/FONT]
I still charge half of what he does inc Vat. So if you look around you can have good value and excellent quality.

Last edited:
Simon's also well advanced in developing a titanium actioned rifle - brilliant engineering and as smooth as silk. But that would really require a lottery win!

Sorry Frog if you are impressed by that it just shows how little you know about firearms, I have had a Titanium actioned rifle for years, it has a carbon fibre bolt shroud for extra bling :lol:, even Remington did a Ti actioned model 700.

If anybody on here thinks £150 is a fair price to pay for screw cutting a barrel they have never stood at a lathe in their life, for heaven sake it is a job a first year apprentice turner would learn to carry out, to make out it is harder than that is just an attempt to pull the wool over your eyes. :-|

330gm is not particularly light compared to some others on the market. If the OP is happy then fine but before anybody else spends there well-earned cash which for a lot is hard to find these days, it is good to know if you are getting value for money.

As to the price of a English shotgun you pay a lot for one but it will be worth a lot when you sell it on so it could be judged good value for money, spending twice as much as needed on a screw cutting a rifle barrel will not increase the rifle resale value one penny.

ATB

Tahr

Last edited:

Buy once, buy right.

I'm sorry but, it's absolutely nothing like complaining about the price of Purdeys and I think that it's pretty rude for you to assume that £150 is out of anyone's price range.

As has already been said, and.... unlike a Purdey, the same quality product and finish is readily available at half the price.

One of my criteria in life is to not have my pants pulled down by anyone.

Glad you're so pleased with what you got for your money, you must have been for it to inspire such a comprehensive review of LP mods.

ATB
​Moses

Last edited:
There is a similar thread here somewhere where someone was singing the praises of Mike Norris and the poster mentioned that he also got a cup of coffee while waiting.
I mentioned for the price that he paid I would have expected a bacon buttie as well !!
Phew! the flack I got was similar to the above.
I am lucky in that I have a friend that was in the aircraft industry and machine tools were his hobby so over the years he built up quite an expensive and extensive workshop.
He was so good that, before the pistol ban, he did quite a bit of work for a well known pistol maker at the time.
When he first did a threading job for me and at his suggestion, a thread protector with the same profile as the barrel, he made it look so easy.
When he finished and I asked how much he wanted he didn't know what to charge so said, based on how easy he found it, whether I was happy with £20.00. That also included the coffee and biscuits.
He has done quite a bit of work for me since and I like to think I give him 'a fair price' always more than he asks but nowhere near what is often quoted on here and he is always satisfied.
If you have the tools and knowledge to do a specific job, I don't see why the price should vary so much for the same job.

my mate has one on his .308 win and its the loudest mod ive ever heard and yes it was £600

Back