Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with 'General'?

Question What to do with 'General'?

I'm going to do something with General. I'm thinking about renaming it to Deer Stalking Discussion and moving it under the Deer Stalking area to try to keep it more on the topic of Deer Stalking. My concern is that the core deer stalking issues are being buried beneath all the other stuff.

Then maybe create an Off Topic section elsewhere for discussion of things not related to Deer Stalking (or belonging in any of the other sections), banter etc.

I've also moved Taxidermy/Trophy Prep and the Recipes forum (Now Recipes & Butchery) up under the Deer Stalking section which is probably where it should have been to start with.

Thoughts?

Good idea Alex.

You put it in any section you like and then just leave the members to continue posting in whichever section they feel like whether it is the right one or not.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

good idea ,MAKE IT SO

Agree - some banter and off topic stuff like 'What watch' can be entertaining but completely non related to the sites core objectives.

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    I'm going to do something with General. I'm thinking about renaming it to Deer Stalking Discussion and moving it under the Deer Stalking area to try to keep it more on the topic of Deer Stalking. My concern is that the core deer stalking issues are being buried beneath all the other stuff.

Then maybe create an Off Topic section elsewhere for discussion of things not related to Deer Stalking (or belonging in any of the other sections), banter etc.

I've also moved Taxidermy/Trophy Prep and the Recipes forum (Now Recipes & Butchery) up under the Deer Stalking section which is probably where it should have been to start with.

Thoughts?
    I'd like to see more filters applied to the various headings. I'm not sure that 'General' works - maybe it's a lost cause now that the site has grown so much - it's more often a catch all for mis-posts, or posts that don't seem to match an obvious heading

'TODAY'S POSTS' is my usual tipple, but of late it looks like it's caught the measles. SD can look like Ebay - at certain times of day - with strings of Adverts which increase the number of pages to trawl through to get back to where you left off.

I think it's necessary to Login to select an option to suppress the Ads. I'd like to see 'Today's Posts' (or 'General' if you or everyone wants to keep it) to filter out the 'For Sale' or 'Wanted' stuff which is already available under 'Classifieds'. It would be useful if this cleaned-up 'forum heading' carried a sticky to remind everyone to try to keep it 'shooting related' as much as possible. An additional 'Off Topic' would help to keep this theme on track.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

As you say move "General" to Staling and rename it and replace "General" with "None stalking related" or similar you could even go as far as ad another section under main "None shooting related"

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    I'd like to see 'Today's Posts' (or 'General' if you or everyone wants to keep it) to filter out the 'For Sale' or 'Wanted' stuff which is already available under 'Classifieds'.
    You can already do this... click What's New at the top, then click New Posts (excl. Classifieds) just underneath

Alex, search functions seem to be turning up a wide set of results, is there something I'm doing wrong?, even using specific words.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Good idea Alex.

You put it in any section you like and then just leave the members to continue posting in whichever section they feel like whether it is the right one or not.
    You got me there

There are so many sections now that someone comes along, sees General right there at the top and it's "that'll do... thread goes there!"

"good 'ole csl will just move it for me if it's wrong"

I've been racking my brains how to make the list more accessible because there are a lot of sections to scan through. Maybe I could collapse a few forums down into subsection like Classifieds.... might make it a bit easier to see all on one page?