What to do with 'General'?

csl

Administrator
Site Staff
I'm going to do something with General. I'm thinking about renaming it to Deer Stalking Discussion and moving it under the Deer Stalking area to try to keep it more on the topic of Deer Stalking. My concern is that the core deer stalking issues are being buried beneath all the other stuff.

Then maybe create an Off Topic section elsewhere for discussion of things not related to Deer Stalking (or belonging in any of the other sections), banter etc.

I've also moved Taxidermy/Trophy Prep and the Recipes forum (Now Recipes & Butchery) up under the Deer Stalking section which is probably where it should have been to start with.

Thoughts?

Good idea Alex.

You put it in any section you like and then just leave the members to continue posting in whichever section they feel like whether it is the right one or not.:stir:

Agree - some banter and off topic stuff like 'What watch' can be entertaining but completely non related to the sites core objectives.

I'm going to do something with General. I'm thinking about renaming it to Deer Stalking Discussion and moving it under the Deer Stalking area to try to keep it more on the topic of Deer Stalking. My concern is that the core deer stalking issues are being buried beneath all the other stuff.

Then maybe create an Off Topic section elsewhere for discussion of things not related to Deer Stalking (or belonging in any of the other sections), banter etc.

I've also moved Taxidermy/Trophy Prep and the Recipes forum (Now Recipes & Butchery) up under the Deer Stalking section which is probably where it should have been to start with.

Thoughts?

I'd like to see more filters applied to the various headings. I'm not sure that 'General' works - maybe it's a lost cause now that the site has grown so much - it's more often a catch all for mis-posts, or posts that don't seem to match an obvious heading

'TODAY'S POSTS' is my usual tipple, but of late it looks like it's caught the measles. SD can look like Ebay - at certain times of day - with strings of Adverts which increase the number of pages to trawl through to get back to where you left off.

I think it's necessary to Login to select an option to suppress the Ads. I'd like to see 'Today's Posts' (or 'General' if you or everyone wants to keep it) to filter out the 'For Sale' or 'Wanted' stuff which is already available under 'Classifieds'. It would be useful if this cleaned-up 'forum heading' carried a sticky to remind everyone to try to keep it 'shooting related' as much as possible. An additional 'Off Topic' would help to keep this theme on track.

As you say move "General" to Staling and rename it and replace "General" with "None stalking related" or similar you could even go as far as ad another section under main "None shooting related"

I'd like to see 'Today's Posts' (or 'General' if you or everyone wants to keep it) to filter out the 'For Sale' or 'Wanted' stuff which is already available under 'Classifieds'.

You can already do this... click What's New at the top, then click New Posts (excl. Classifieds) just underneath

Good idea Alex.

You put it in any section you like and then just leave the members to continue posting in whichever section they feel like whether it is the right one or not.:stir:

You got me there :lol:

There are so many sections now that someone comes along, sees General right there at the top and it's "that'll do... thread goes there!"

"good 'ole csl will just move it for me if it's wrong"

:doh:

I've been racking my brains how to make the list more accessible because there are a lot of sections to scan through. Maybe I could collapse a few forums down into subsection like Classifieds.... might make it a bit easier to see all on one page?

Alex, search functions seem to be turning up a wide set of results, is there something I'm doing wrong?, even using specific words.

Yes. Asking in the wrong topic for starters ;)

You could try asking it to return Posts instead of Threads? Because if you search for 'Sako' say, it will return any threads with Sako in, even if the Title is something different.

An off topic section sounds good to me.
I must admit I just come on and use the "whats new" search feature most of the time though.

A bit of off topic discussion is good for the site as a whole,, Although it`s a stalking site, coming on to find another thread asking which calibre is best for reds can be a bit boring,,

I never have an issue with stalking chat being inundated with off topic subjects, I just use new posts and read whatever takes my fancy

Setting up an off topic area would be the way to go,, some fok actually like talking about watches, and it might stop the po faces from complaning about reading a subject that nobody asked them to click on in the first place :D

We could also do with a section for when the BASC / SACS argu.......sorry..... discussion starts, then the mods can put it in there.
That should save another 2-3 posts ( per week at least ) from the general deer stalking section... Just a thought... it does get a bit tedious...

David

I think the general section has degenerated so far from what it used to be its mostly full of sh*te now...

If you wana talk rubbish theres facebook or plenty of fish etc

For all the sado's that live on here i couldnt personally care what youve had for brekky or if the toasters broke.

Generals become like cheap tv imo

Cheesy grins

Terry

Alex

Personally I don't think there is that much wrong with the layout of the site as it stands and to do as you are suggesting will in my opinion not make any difference to the way people post.
There are people that will seek out the right section to post in and those that won't, just one of those things that become more apparent due to the number of members posting and the number of posts.
You will still be moving posts you will just have more sections to move things into, just my 2P worth.

Dave

Back