Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fallow butchery tips

Fallow butchery tips

Going to cut up a yearling next week, I am used to Roe.

The size difference makes me wonder what to do with the legs, whether to separate the individual muscles or to bone out and cut into joints?

The shoulders will be diced and the fillet will be cut to lengths and the skirt cut for stewing.

​Any thoughts folks?

No real difference other than the size however I wouldn't dice the shoulders, I would either cook them whole or bone them out and mince them.Use one of the haunches for premium dice instead. I would then either leave the other haunches on the bone for roasting (cut it in half if it's too big) or bone it out for steaks and a bit more dice.The saddle can either be left whole for roasting or the loins (often incorrectly called fillets) can be removed and well trimmed for fantastic medallions.Not sure what you mean by skirt, I know skirt as diaphragm which, in deer, is usually removed with the gralloch. If you mean the flanks ect then I would just mince them along with all to other bits of trim.If its your own deer for your own consumption then I see no point in trying to make quality meals out of second grade cuts especially if you are feeding it to other people too. I have been known to dice loins for special casseroles etc.Probably haven't explained that very well!Best advice is buy Nicola Fletchers 'ultimate Venison Cookbook'

That reply is a bit of a mess and I can't edit it! Do the best you can to work out what I was trying to say!

I cut the haunch into nice chunks for casseroles or roast whole. The loins I like to cut into steaks. The rest gets minced. Butcher it to what cuts best suit you !!
    ​Atb Steve

If you divide the leg muscles you get quite a lot of steaks and some trim for sausages & burgers, I found the Mike Robinson Skin, Butcher & Cook DVD very useful for showing how to do this. atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    If you divide the leg muscles you get quite a lot of steaks and some trim for sausages & burgers, I found the Mike Robinson Skin, Butcher & Cook DVD very useful for showing how to do this. atb Tim
    +1, useful DVD. His way of taking off the haunches by cutting through the joins in the pelvis (no saw required) is very satisfying once you know the technique.

Seam-bone the haunches and make pave steaks etc, or keep choice pieces like the salmon.

You can bone and roll the shoulders exactly like you would a lamb.

Also the shanks are very tasty slow cooked/braised.

You can roll the brisket and tie it up into a pot-roast or braising joint.

You can get both loins out in one piece, still connected, and tie them together with string to make a nice roasting joint. Tuck the tenderloins inside to make it bigger. Roast it pink.

With roe and muntjac we have tried sawing the saddle into Barnsley chops, which worked very well, maybe fallow would make nice single chops.

Lots of possibilities without just dicing and mincing everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    Also the shanks are very tasty slow cooked/braised.
    Lots of people throw the shanks in the mincer or in the bin!
    I agree with you Sharpie, very tasty braised, i then turn them into this

Cheers
    Richard

Thanks for your comments chaps. Good reading for me.
    Tips about the shanks are useful.

His way of taking off the haunches by cutting through the joins in the pelvis (no saw required) is very satisfying once you know the technique.

I assume that is opening the fused joint.

If you have a bone saw you can half or third the haunch to roast on the bone.

Quote Originally Posted by jack View Post

I assume that is opening the fused joint.
    Thats it. A narrow boning knife is ideal, once you get in it cuts through very easily, at least on a couple of sorrel I did. On your yearling it should be like butter.