Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Split 30-06 cases what's the cause likely to be?!

Split 30-06 cases what's the cause likely to be?!

I zero'd the 30-06 earlier then had 2 cases split on me so stopped shooting it until I know the cause!

Hornady SPRG 150gr SST rounds, so from what I've been reading about the hmr rounds it's 99% gonna be the ammo!!

Any ideas?

Cheers

Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

More info required
    ​your loads? 2nd hand brass, how many firings?

splits at the head/webbing are usually overly worked brass with lots of firings and the thinning of that area as a result.
    whatever he cause ditch that brass and either buy new or better quality

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    More info required
    ​your loads? 2nd hand brass, how many firings?

splits at the head/webbing are usually overly worked brass with lots of firings and the thinning of that area as a result.
    whatever he cause ditch that brass and either buy new or better quality
    Think stratts said on another thread that they were factory rounds (correct me if i'm wrong tho).

Yep factory rounds bought Friday from the gunshop mate!! 1st time in a rifle!!

On closer inspection all 9 rounds fired show signs of stress in the same place and 3 others are almost split the same!!

What I've read about these rounds they give an extra 100-200 fps against their standard round, so maybe the brass can't handle it?? Only bought em coz only ones the gunshop had but they had to hunt in the depths for the box with em in!!

Stopping is the right thing to do. Take your rifle and ammunition to a professional and let them investigate the issue. Regards JCS

Be very very surprised if the rifle has any faults it was gifted to me from a thoroughly decent chap on here!!

Needs checking though I agree.

How would the rounds make the rifle react if they are faulty? I was expecting a sharp kick but the bipod jumped off the deck and even though I'm a noob to unmoderated full bore rifles, I had no chance of keeping an eye on the impact due to the level of recoil. Or is this normal for this kind of rifle?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Stopping is the right thing to do. Take your rifle and ammunition to a professional and let them investigate the issue. Regards JCS
    Yep, get it checked out. Get him to check the headspace on the rifle too, it might be a little long....

I'd say it's either the headspacing or the factory ammo, more likely the former...though don't rule out the latter either

Stratts

+ 1 on what saddler says. Get both ammo & rifle measured by a competent riflesmith before firing it again.

The inspection of the rifle shouldn't cost you much (if anything) - with the right knowledge & gauges it's just a few minutes work & I'm sure someone on the forum can advise you what it should cost to rectify it if it is found to be needed.

It looks like you have a good neck seal on the fired cases (no soot) so I'd put money on it being an excessive headspace issue.
    On firing, the case would initially be pushed to the front of the chamber by the firing pin. Then the case neck & front end has obturated into the chamber as it should and sealed it whilst providing a very strong grip against the chamber front end. The excessive clearance behind the case allows the back end of the case to be pushed back by the pressure giving you case head separation before it was stopped by the bolt.
    Please let us know the outcome of the inspection.

On the subject of recoil. Welcome to the world of the high muzzle energy! A 30-06 will leap about a bit when on a bipod & you need to develop a firmer hold than you have been used to. Pull it into your shoulder more with the pistol grip (3 fingers) & grip the fore stock checkering, pulling back & a bit downwards (not too heavily - you're not trying to bend the rifle!!). Alternatively learn to use a sling like target shooters do. And / or shoot lighter bullets - 125 or 130 grain bullets cause less recoil than the 150 grain ones you've shot so far and will kill any UK game very well.

​Ian

that has to be faulty brass/ammo or more than just headspace!

I have seen a few rifles with excessive headspace and whilst they normally blow a primer out I have never seen virgin brass split at the webbing like that, even high MV loads

what brand?
    what do the case heads and primers look like?

wouldn't worry too much about seeing bullet strike.
    when your sight picture returns the dead thing at 100yds is usually the thing you shot!