Closed ticket?

Andy7mm

Since joining this site i have heard a lot about closed tickets and "land deem suitable by the chief of police" (par phraseing).

could someone please explian what this means.

are those with a closed cert only allowed to use thier guns on ground listed on the cert? what happen if you get a new permission or invited out on a friends permisson?

do they limit what cal can be used? (if the shot is safe with a .223 its safe with a .416)

and if i have a closed cert can a friend with an open come to my permission and shot freely?

Andy7mm

Andy7mm,
an open ticket means that the certificate holder may shoot on any land on which he has permission. A closed ticket means that you may only shoot on land with permission and passed as suitable by the Chief Constable for the calibre you are using. So, if you had a .308 for deer, the land would have to be deemed suitable for that calibre at least. Your FEO will usually be the one that inspects the land and makes the decision.

Since joining this site i have heard a lot about closed tickets and "land deem suitable by the chief of police" (par phraseing).

could someone please explian what this means.

are those with a closed cert only allowed to use thier guns on ground listed on the cert? what happen if you get a new permission or invited out on a friends permisson?

do they limit what cal can be used? (if the shot is safe with a .223 its safe with a .416)

and if i have a closed cert can a friend with an open come to my permission and shot freely?

Andy7mm
Andy, in order.
An 'open' ticket means you can shoot anywhere you have permission from the holder of the shooting rights where 'you' deem it safe to do so, and the shooting will not be a danger to public safety or peace.

A 'closed' ticket means that you can do the same, IF the land has been passed for the caliber you are using, some forces clear land for 'rimfire' and 'centerfire', and some are caliber specific.

If you have a 'closed' ticket, you can shoot elsewhere, but the land must have been cleared for use by the police in that area, so you couldn't come with me on one of my farms with a Hmr, where I use a 243 or 308, as it has never been checked and cleared, but you could use your 223 on another that has been cleared for up to 243.

If you invite me out on land you can only use a Hmr (for eg) and I deem it safe to use my 308, that's fine as I have an open ticket.

As for 'clearing to cal', as said, some forces clear for specific cals, others for rim or centerfire. If you get a new piece of land, if its in your force area, a quick call to the Licencing office can confirm if the land is cleared or not, if you are shooting in a different county, a call to the relevant office will get you the info, but some counties are tricky to get a phone number for (Avon and Somerset for eg), so it's probably easier for you to ask your flo to enquire for you. A lot of landowners will know if land is cleared and what to, and in theory, if they say it is, you should be ok, but worth checking anyway, I know of one person who was told it was cleared when it wasn't for the cal he was using, and got a slapped wrist for not checking, though they did then open his ticket to avoid him falling foul again the jammy bugger.

Regards
​Pete

Guys in scotland dont seam to have these problems. For a number of reasons. Land is to vast to check so they dont bother.

Its scotland for gods sake they dont know what a flat piece of ground looks like. More hills safer shot.
Also most of the land there is remote less chance of seeing walkers and members of the public on

Hence more reasons to give open ticket from start. We where zeroing some rifles the other day. And stopped for a cup of tea.

When two walkers with dogs not even on public right away footpaths. Walked across the field behind the target board.
And off up the hill behind to some woods. Just go's to show you have to have eyes like a bird of prey when out shooting.

Thanks guys.

I know what you mean jay, it normaly happens to me during an extraction and theses always a small child.

Andy7mm

Back