Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: First Aid

First Aid

Thought id mention it as hopefully might just push somebody whose thinking about it to actually take the plunge.

There have been a number of occasions now and too many where not being first aid trained would have left me and friends unable to assist

Travelling back from Underwater Explorers via Paul Taylor's my friend Egis and i were just commenting what a beautiful day it was going through the forest this previous weekend.

We then come across an upturned Land Rover with children climbing our from it

The four children had clambered out but mum was inside at the back and we couldnt move her because of the injuries she was complaining of.

Exact details arent needed but it was some time for the ambulance to arrive...

If you and your family would be greatfull for assistance in these circumstances i would suggest its worth thinking about being or becoming competent to give some assistance yourself.

I have no links to any first aid training offered on here
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Well said, an awareness course is all it takes

I go on about this quite a lot ! I am first aid trained because i could not live with my myself if an injured person passed away because i did not know how to help? and it doesn't bear thinking about if it was your own flesh and blood !

the courses are not that onerous and watching someone die is not the time to think about booking a course!

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    I go on about this quite a lot ! I am first aid trained because i could not live with my myself if an injured person passed away because i did not know how to help? and it doesn't bear thinking about if it was your own flesh and blood ! the courses are not that onerous and watching someone die is not the time to think about booking a course!
    Very admirable gents one thing with first aid one and only rule you must adhear to first do no harm ,if the person you remove from the seen of accident thinks you ! Have caused them further injury there will be litigations flying everywhere ,no matter if you have actually saved there live .

Vehicle accidents one of the reasons the paramedics always wait till the fire and rescue turn up ,so they don't put themselves in harms way .

There is a huge difference in first aid and potential life saving procedures of removing casualties from dangerous situations ,and putting yourself it that situation .

A huge balance between treating a cut hand to dealing with a arterial hematoma , get quality trained help on the way before you do anything .

I advertised a course on here recently, i needed 7 people to attend to make it viable for the trainer at 75 each, i had one reply, so although it is a very good idea it would appear people don't want to put their hands in their pockets.

One piece of advice in the above incident, don't just think about the casualty, think about yourself, not just the body fluids but traffic, a 'helper' who assisted me once almost became a victim themselves, i think they were so shocked at what they saw they lost their spacial awareness and walked in front of a car driving by.

Edit, WS, you beat me to it!
    But when i did my first aid at work training i was told as a trained first aider i could be prosecuted for not doing anything!
    Last edited by devon deer stalker; 08-04-2013 at 08:11.

I aggree WS but most training teaches you to assess quickly and send for help straight away if nessacery?

and i would rather save someones life then fight it out in court afterwards with them than explain why although i could help but didn't ?

Widows Son...

Some of what you say is sensible common sence, but to suggest when dealing with multiple casualty's your mind should be adversely distracted thinking about possible litigation is rubbish as far as i am personally concerned

For each incident there might be a dozen diferent scenario's to cope with and we can sit here all day long throwing negatives like litigation etc at it

I dont claim to be a professional after my training but i am confident in doing all i can to save someone.

On arrival the ambulance crew did not " wait for the fire crew" as you stated but saw to the casualty's.

No other car involved, cars were put some distance in front of and behind accident with hazards on..

I think its daft to enter into fanciable scenario's and more sensibke to think along the lines of being in a position to help your own family and others by getting some training

Cheers

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Edit, WS, you beat me to it!
    But when i did my first aid at work training i was told as a trained first aider i could be prosecuted for not doing anything![/QUOTE]

i think whoever told you this Devon deer stalker was talking absolute rubbish - I would love to know under which law you could be prosecuted ?
    secondly as a non professional I don't see how you could be successfully litigated against for actually saving a life even if it could be proved the individual was injured as a result of a life saving action. Could this be one of those H & S urban myths ?
    Last edited by prometheus; 08-04-2013 at 09:05.

i think whoever told you this Devon deer stalker was talking absolute rubbish - I would love to know under which law you could be prosecuted ?
    secondly as a non professional I don't see how you could be successfully litigated against for actually saving a life even if it could be proved the individual was injured as a result of a life saving action. Could this be one of those H & S urban myths ? [/QUOTE]

It was the first aid trainer, the training was provided by a firm employed by BT, he seemed pretty sure of himself when he stated it, in fact there were sharp in takes of breath when he stated it.Funny how things like that stick in your memory but probably a lot of the training didn't!
    Unlike you i am not a lawyer so i couldn't say what law one could be prosecuted under, but lets face it who would just stand by and do nothing if a person in need of help required your assistance?
    Cheers
    Richard

i am a ex green section medic have have used the skills given to me a lots of times, one was an old dear who had a hart attack as she was drivin i was behide her car in slow traffic i was able to keep her going until a medic crew tipped up i was chufted and went on my way to work she sent me a card with thanks some time later while i was helping her lots of folks were milling around not one i requested help from had any first aid skills !
    may be time to club together and do a st johns first aid thay run them down here and thay are not that expensive when you think it could save a life maybe yours!
    atvb
    paul o'
    Last edited by paul o'; 08-04-2013 at 09:49.