Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road kill, gralloching.

Road kill, gralloching.

Hi All,
    I offered a guy the roe he shot with me the other day and he stated he doesn't need any as his freezer is full of road kill!
    Now to me the obvious springs to mind of was it displaying odd behaviour before getting killed, perhaps been given a lethal injection, time it has been there etc etc
    But has anyone ever gralloched one?
    I gralloched a red deer once that was lost late on a warm autumn evening and found first thing in the morning, as expected the rumen was like a balloon, as soon as i detached the food pipe from the wind pipe it started to fill with food, when i got the gralloch out the meat had turned a purple/black colour so i didn't fancy eating it myself and it was disposed of.
    That was after about 7 hours, the temperature over night would have been about 10c
    So does anyone on here eat road kill?
    Cheers
    Richard

Always give them to those will kennels and a lot of hungry dogs. If I know the circumstances of course I.e phone call from someone on the estate telling me about an incident.

Have had two deer in maybe the last ten years and that was only because I was in the car behind the one which hit the deer, both occasions I had to 'dispatch' the deer. they were hit in the front quarter so saddle and haunch were perfect in both deer. I even gave a haunch to one of the people who had hit the deer..... poor people were more concerned that the had injured somebody's pet as it was on the outskirts of Inverness!!!

Dw

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    But has anyone ever gralloched one?
    Yes. There's a guy local to me who picks them up all over the place. I've told him all the horror stories, the diseases, possibly being full of phenobarbital etc but he won't be told. When he found out I have a chiller he keeps turning up on the doorstep with them!

The first 'doe' turned up still with a bladder, some bits of lung... oh and one testicle! So I thought the least I could do was show him how to do it properly (and was also curious about the RTA damage to be honest) so I've taken him through the gralloch, inspection, diseases etc and even showed him how to skin and butcher one (one of mine).

A couple have been fresh as anything and hit in the head too. Broken neck, smashed skull etc but the body has been perfect. But a few others have been a bruised, purple mess under the skin. Quite interesting... but not for eating, not for me!
    Last edited by csl; 08-04-2013 at 11:37.

Used to before I started shooting them. Pick a very fresh one is tip #1! Had a few in A1 condition where they had taken impact across the head only. Nothing wrong with them, might have to discard a fair bit but I was always of the opinion it was better then leaving it to rot on the roadside.

Must be desperate, or a very poor stalker to eat road kill ,if you were right behind it and saw it being hit maybe, even then the damage is usually pretty bad, attended numerous RTAs found very few to be salvageable, now I don't even try just dump them.

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Yes. There's a guy local to me who picks them up all over the place. I've told him all the horror stories, the diseases, possibly being full of phenobarbital etc but he won't be told. When he found out I have a chiller he keeps turning up on the doorstep with them!

The first 'doe' turned up still with a bladder, some bits of lung... oh and one testicle! So I thought the least I could do was show him how to do it properly (and was also curious about the RTA damage to be honest) so I've taken him through the gralloch, inspection, diseases etc and even showed him how to skin and butcher one (one of mine).

A couple have been fresh as anything and hit in the head too. Broken neck, smashed skull etc but the body has been perfect. But a few others have been a bruised, purple mess under the skin. Quite interesting... but not for eating, not for me!
    Alex, the couple as "fresh as anything" rings alarm bells

The local poacher isnt getting free bed and board in your chiller? lol
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1 View Post
    Alex, the couple as "fresh as anything" rings alarm bells

The local poacher isnt getting free bed and board in your chiller? lol
    The same thing did cross my mind Terry but I went over every inch of them and couldn't find any evidence of foul play. If he is running after them and knocking them over the head at 40mph then he deserves to keep them IMO

I've gralloched the odd one which have been involved in RTA's. Purely for the practice as a novice stalker I did it for the experience. I inspected the insides and found enlarged mesenteric lymph nodes and the stomach had burst. It was never destined for my freezer just did it for the learning experience.

Nasty lol